Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got a led lighting fixture to go into my bachmann mk1's but am struggling a bit over how to get electrical pick-ups from the wheel.

I have some small capacitors in the circuit so it only requires one pickup for each polarity - but am even struggling to see how to do this.

Any ideas instructions/ for this (relatively inexperienced) modeller greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TimP

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
If you are near a model shop with helpful staff, ask to see both the Hornby and Bachmann Pullman models as these have two of the best low friction arrangements for pick-up.

Bachmann use the split chassis principle, wheels live to their half axle, with a plastic insulating muff making the axle mechanically complete, with the pick up from thin metal plates riding on the axle ends. If you can find some split axle wheelsets this is a very efficient method.

Hornby use wheel live to axle one side, and a pick-up wioer bearing on the axle. Bridging the insulation one side of a metal wheel set, and fitting wipers to the bogie underside is a DIY option.

Alternatively, but with a higher drag penalty, nickel silver wire or bronze sheet wipers can be fabricated to bear on metal wheelbacks.

A couple of small self tapping screws is the easiest way to attach pick-up wipers to the bogie underside. Either screw on directly, or solder the wipers to a small piece of copperclad PCB, and attach that to the bogie.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 34C, I am a long way from anywhere up a hillside in Northern Scotland, nearest model shop is dingwall which has only limited stock out the back of a fishing tackle shop!

Re wipers for axles - any suggestions for where I could get suitable material to fabricate such a thing?

Thanks

TimP

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (34C @ 24 Mar 2008, 19:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Tim,

A couple of retailers I have used and found reliable for this sort of thing:

http://www.mainlytrains.co.uk/acatalog/index.html put bronze in the search field and it will pull up a list of suitable material

Alternatively Eileen's Emporium 020 8771 3366 (don't believe they have a website).

Doubtless there are many more.

Thanks yes found them on mainly trains so will order from there.

T

1 - 5 of 5 Posts