Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

In depth idiot
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With nearly everything that ran in any numbers now available or announced, and among these even some of the onesey-twosey examples, there isn't much left for a new, never before available RTR introduction; and some of the candidates would be obscure or long forgotten, Lovett Eames single (air brake demonstrator), GER 0-10-0 WT, Churchward Great Bear, Paget 2-6-2, anyone?

More likely:
Riddles Austerity 2-10-0
Lickey banker
LMS Princess Anne
Raven pacific (A2)
Gresley P1
Gresley U1
Gresley V4

In depth idiot
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am aware that a certain manufacturer of weird prototypes has considered it <Riddles Austerity 2-10-0>.
It is far distant from weird though, possibly why it never got beyond consideration?

I was surprised that Bachmann with the clearly successful WD 2-8-0 of 1999 and 9F of 2006, didn't proceed with the CAD from the 2-8-0, and the ten coupled drive of the 9F, 'mush them together' with some extra bits, and there we are.

In depth idiot
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting, but not a wide firebox design. Of the various UK atlantics only the Ivatt GNR C1 / LNER C1, and the LBSCR developments of this design, H1 and H2, made use of rear carrying wheel for this essential step on the road to maximum power express steam traction, and is comfortably the most significant design of C20th

Few realise this, but the C1's development potential was such that after the 20 years from introduction in 1902, this design could match the largest UK 4-6-0s for power output at speed. It's limitation was of course starting traction, and that had to be fixed by the natural next step of a six coupled wide firebox loco.

The pacific proved to be sufficient for UK express operating requirements, and had such a clear advantage that within about ten years of the GNR A1 introduction, only wide firebox locos were considered for new maximum power designs.

Registered
True - I got a bit confused over 'grate area', but of course the firebox is still a narrow design. Still, it got me back to reading my book on L&Y locos (by Barry C. Lane) - lots of pictures and confusing details about changes in design details. It would be nice to find a similar book on LNWR locos, the only one I have is by O.S. Nock which is falling apart and wasn't quite so satisfactory.

In depth idiot
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With nearly everything that ran in any numbers now available or announced, and among these even some of the onesey-twosey examples, there isn't much left for a new, never before available RTR introduction...
We have a winner, that didn't take long did it?

KR models announce the Lickey banker.

Premium Member
I already have an Austerity 2-10-0 created from two Bachmann 2-8-0s and Princess Anne created from the amalgam of Hornby Princess and Coronation parts so don't need those, but some more Scottish prototypes would be nice - A C11 Atlantic or a 439 class 0-4-4 tank. I understand that a certain manufacturer has been to Bo'ness but what they 'scanned' is classified. A Gresley P1 would be nice. Also a GWR Saint.

In depth idiot
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And of course in my opening post I failed to mention the USATC S-160 2-8-0 which saw wartime service in the UK prior to D-Day, and has since returned to UK operation on preserved lines. That's comfortably the top of the recent survey as far as the 'wide firebox' category is concerned.

(Inexplicably - that's just my opinion - the UK's equivalent, Riddles WD 'Austerity' 2-8-0, got a fair number of requests for a new model. OK, the existing Bachmann model lacks the tender tool rack, but if you add the 247 developments etched rack you will likely in time discover its finger piercing capability; which might be why Bachmann left it out... My 2 23 year old specimens are still running well in regular service and look authentically austerityish carrying BR freight filth livery.)

Administrator
USATC S-160 2-8-0
Roco have done an HO scale version in various guises - maybe someone could negotiate for a leg up and initial CADs? ;).
Had a ride behind the S-160 many years ago when it was at Swanage. A true 'no frills' locomotive as I remember it. Sadly our photos were lost when our laptop got nicked in a burglary in 2009 ...

• Sad
Reactions: Julian2011

In depth idiot
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
...A true 'no frills' locomotive ...
That's about right; we once drove under the K&WVR overbridge in Keighley* as the S-160 was heading toward Oxenhope and the battering it was giving that bridge was something to hear.

*Turn left off the A6035 heading South, into what looks like a scrapyard, but is actually a lane (Shaw Lane if memory serves) that goes up Hogholes Clough toward Cullingworth and Hardon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts