Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,402 Posts
One thing here puzzles me, you have 2 metre boards pushed against a blank wall? you cannot reach across this far so 1 metre is as far as an average bloke can reach. Given your interests I suggest a visit to minature wonderland in Hamburg as this has loads of layouts and all sorts of devices such as spirals.

design for access as if it goes wrong I can guarantee it'll be in the least accessible place.

In terms of gradients 1 in 60 is easy, I use 1 in 33 and that works so you are pessimistic there should be no bother at all.

As to track then I have no experience with bullhead but I like the idea of it.

As above 1 in 87 German and 1 in 76 British comes out the same size pretty much, thus German kit buildings/bridges etc seem happy running OO stock.

·
Premium Member
6,402 Posts
Surely bullhead rail is deeper than code 75 flat bottom rail? in which case code 75 is out and the only product to use is code 100? I went this way because of a large amount of legacy product and in particular my hundreds of Wrenn wagons with their pizza cutter wheels, I do run some German bogie hoppers and I must say without issues on my Totton the Brent coal trains (being a bit similar to those used on this traffic) and I suppose the German manufacturers using code 100 confirms all that

·
Premium Member
6,402 Posts
certainly looks more like the railway I remember quite impressed, I'll have to try some, only issue is the noch underlay which is designed for code 100 and which I find easy to use with an acceptable overall look.

·
Premium Member
6,402 Posts
The track fan at the end of the Towcaster Station using Noch underlay. I do not use the point flat system as it is naff but cut and shape the regular line track to fit, bit of a knack but hope you think it looks OK. Might be useful for John to think about as choosing track is the biggest issue to face and he will have a lot of it

·
Premium Member
6,402 Posts
Me - jealous that size is fabulous, you'll be popular with the maker of track as well as well as the wood supplier. so a great challenge.
Through all this I would also suggest you buy
1. vertical track cutter
2. Sideways track cutters
3. Selection of files
4. Pin hammer and pusher
5. Mini screwdrivers
6. A Dremel is very good. with small drills
These are the basics but you may need some others, the vertical track cutters are vital.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts