Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Thank you to all who answered my question on set track. It seemed to generate debate, which, I guess, is what it is all about. I have now made a start, using Fleischmann HO profi-track. What platform width should I allow, given I want to reflect a small town terminus station in Germany, also can anybody recommend any kits or ready made units that will meet that spec.

Many thanks
S& D

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've been looking at this myself since I'm pretty much where you are.

Had a quick look at Faller's 2007-2008 catalogue:

It seems Faller make platforms with the widths of 4,8cm, or 7,6 cm, or 9,4cm (the largest being for ICE platforms)

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
You will be able to find examples of many different platform widths on the real railway, for me it comes down to whatever you think looks best on your railway.

Rob

·
Registered
574 Posts
From memory, minimum prototype width under current legilation is 5 metres for double platforms and 2.5 metres for single platforms. There isn't a maximun width.

In HO thats 58mm and 29mm. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
296 Posts
A little bit on the same topic...

Has anyone ever bought the Bonn train sheds by Faller (model # 120180) or Kibri (B-9565)

I was wondering how much space those things took...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Aye, that's quite true - but what I mean is that it for the train sheds you have a situation like so:

-------------------
XXXXXXXXXXXX
-------------------
-------------------
XXXXXXXXXXXX
-------------------

What the dimensions that Faller and Kibri don't really give is the amount of space that is allowed for the central two tracks, or indeed, the width of the platforms supporting the shed.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Apart from Faller, Vollmer also do a range of platform kits.

Regards

·
Registered
296 Posts
Aaah djeez, forgot about Vollmer

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
From memory I think the platforms supplied are about 30mm wide, of course you can widen them as required.

Regards

·
Registered
296 Posts
Haven't seen any nice sheds with Vollmer - not as impressive as the Bonn covered platforms anyway
- but I guess it's one of those things where ya just have to buy and measure.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
A lot depends on what you want to do.

You can make your own platforms out of MDF, Braawa side panels, Auhagan plastic sheeting for the tops, and then just about anyones platform covers. This way does give you a bit more leeway.

As for looks, I would say that the platform widths should be about 50% wider than the space between the tracks where there are no platforms.

In terms of the big covered stations like Frankfurt, Stuttgart and Munich, the space between the raised passenger platorms is usually concrete at track level for service vehicals etc.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts