Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Is there an alternative to Peco and Hornby for above-board mounted point motors? What does the American fraternity use?

shane

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
You could look at the Fulgurex & Lemarco slow action ones - they will surface mount well. The Tortoise, which is another slow action one is probably far too big.

Another alternative is to use R/C servo's - one advantage of all these types is that they draw very little power, are kinder to the points & you don't have to use nasty CDU's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brian, but excuse my ignorance - what is a R/C servo?

Shane

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
I think Brian is refering to a servo used in a Radio Controlled model, (but please correct me if Im wrong Brian)
For my layout I think I will start with wire in tube point control then upgrade to motors as money allows.
Steve

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 31 Jan 2009, 13:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's the one Steve - sorry it's just me being lazy & using an abbrievation.
Hey its the weekend, lazyness allowed

Steve

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Ron's post above links to a site that uses Radio Contro servo motors.

If you are in the UK, there are several people doing something similar here; they were mentioned last year I think in the Tracks, Layouts, Scenery section. Try using the 'Search' facility of the Forum (right-hand side of header) - that may bring them up for you.

And a belated welcome to the Forum as well.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. Its all got a bit too deep for this newbie, all I really wanted to know was if there were any alternatives to the Hornby and Peco surface mounted point motors. (I didnt really want slow-acting or radio controlled etc.) It seems not, and since I am not confident with either product, I will persevere with under-board motors, even though it means cutting holes in places a man of my age should never have to go.

Thanks
Shane

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Shane, you can mount the large Peco/Hornby motors underneath without the big hole , Peco motor instructions show you how or even on top using PL12. With this, a building can be fitted over the top of the motor similar to the Hornby Unit R8015 http://www.hornby.com/search.html?q=r8015

Have not tried the new Hornby surface mounted motor but I am happy with the Peco unit.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have bought 4 peco surface mount point motors and 2 have disintegrated in weeks. The top piece of plastic has flicked off and the copper coil underneath is corroded and swollen. I have not used solvent, glue or paints anywhere near these as they are in a plywood totally unscenicked fiddle yard. I am fussy about air quality around my railway due to lung problems.
Perplexed of Perth

·
Chief cook &amp; bottle washer
2,917 Posts
Sol's post about ANE Servo's is very interesting. I might have to find out more about them.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
The price for ANE servo motors is for 4 sets & so in Aust, buying Tortoise would cost a lot more than that locally.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A word of caution about using standard radio control servos. They cannot be used as supplied as they need an electronic driver circuit (to take the place of the radio control equipment). There are some manufacturers who make such circuits and some designs are available on the internet.

Jerry

·
Registered
350 Posts
Back when I was very young, someone produced a very useful 1:1 rocking lever assembly that was mounted in a half inch hole in the baseboard (I still have a couple somewhere). You could use a surface mount point motor or tube and wire underneath and have an unobtrusive connection to the turnout on the upper surface. Does anyone know if such a thing is still available?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Guagemaster also make point motor similar to the peco motor. A large number of my point motors are above board hidden in buildings, embankments etc. Sometimes they are remote from the point. I use peco above board mounts together with model aircraft cranks rods and tubing. I also prefer guagemaster since 1) they have a nice switch built into them and 2) when I have to use an underboard mounting the pins are much longer, 3) there is a little more room to elongate the mounting hole so that correct alignment is easier

1 - 20 of 20 Posts