Model Railway Forum banner

Point motor installation

2385 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Makemineadouble
As I don't like making those huge holes in order to attach the motors direct to the points, I am using the Peco motors with the extended pins and adaptor plates which just require a small hole in the baseboard. I find it extremely difficult to get the exact alignment and holding it while screwing the adaptor plates in place.

One idea I have is to make up a temporary holding fixture which will permit adjustment of the motor but is able to hold it sufficiently tight to check the operation prior to fitting the final screws in place, this fixture would be used on each motor and adaptor in turn.

Has anyone got a better solution?

Brian
1 - 1 of 9 Posts
Dear Brian,

There was a very similar query posted in this section of the forum by dave777 on the 14th of February this year - see page 2. I also expressed concerns about a large hole when the motor was fitted to the point, and LisaP4 kindly suggested sandwiching a piece of card between the point and motor to hide the hole and provide somewhere to stick ballast.

The only suggestion I can make is to use short screws with large washers to clamp onto the sides of the adaptor plate so you have a few degrees of adjustment - then when in the correct place fix the plate down and remove the clamping screws.

Regards,
John Webb
1 - 1 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.