Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any idea as how to wire and old HORNBY R664 point motor...? as you look at it it has three holes for wires but im not sure which goes where..... i only have one old type point all the rest are new, and its right in the middle of a loop... i really dont want to rip it out... PLEASE HELP

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (simonathome @ 21 Sep 2006, 18:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
does anyone have any idea as how to wire and old HORNBY R664 point motor...? as you look at it it has three holes for wires but im not sure which goes where..... i only have one old type point all the rest are new, and its right in the middle of a loop... i really dont want to rip it out... PLEASE HELP

Hi Simon,

From memory the centre hole is the "common" or return the other 2 go to the switch. If you are still stuck contact me off list & I will do a quick diagram for you.

best regards
Brian

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi simonathome
The three wires are.
1) From switch in the Normal position or Normal stud etc
2) From switch in the Reverse position or Reverse stud
3) Return to 16v ac
Note the Normal and reverse on switches are only momentary contacts making as the switches lever p[asses by and when fully over the switch gives no output.

On the Hornby motor try as dbcalss50 suggests, but if only one side moves when switch moved then swap the centre wire with one of the two outside positions. If nothing then, swap again the two outsides. Eventually the motor (assuming its ok to begin with?) will work with the switch. You can't do any serious damage the motor if the connections are reversed or wrong, it just wont work correctly or at all. However, using a switch that's not momentary will burn out the motors coil in no time!
My web site shows the connections from switches and probes.My Webpage

1 - 4 of 4 Posts