Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am intending start a 00 guage layout in my garden next year (when the sun comes). I would value any advise on the most reliable type of point motor to use. As I would like to minimise the amout of wiring needed for lots of points and signals. I would like to operate these motors digitally. Once again has anyone sucsessfully made this happen and if so what modules were used?

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
This comes down to personal preference, and there has been quite a bit of discussion on preferences. My overall favourite is Tortoise with Tillig a second which is better for cramped spaces. I operate these digitally through a Lenz LS150.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The Tortoise is virtually entirely enclosed which should make it less susceptible to wet, spiders, insects etc. Virtually all other point motors, solenoid or motor drive, are open and will need to be provided with protection against the above, as will any associated decoder. Some people make covers to be dropped over points when the railway is not in use to protect both the track, the point mechanics and the electrics.
Regards,
John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts