Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am a grandfather and when my grandson visits he likes to play with his DCC trains. When he leaves, the trains are packed away until the next time he visits (they live quite far away). I have always wanted to set up some points motors on his track, but believed that the track had to be mounted on a board as the motors fitted underneath the board (as it used to be) or inside buildings fixed to the board. Then I found the surface mount point motors and that solved my problem. The following describes what I did and must be read with the clear understanding that once mounted, a motor cannot be replaced or removed from the points it is fitted to (this is the downside of how this works). Unfortunately it is not possible to screw the motor down as this would require too thick material under the points, requiring raising the track.

The objective was achieved by cutting a piece of stiff and thin celluliod 50mm by 50mm, glueing it to the underside of the points and then glueing the point motor to the celluloid. I used super glue for the bonding. Care must be taken not too get glue on the point or point motor mechanisms. The points can still be operated manually, or they can now be controlled by the point motor. So depending how much time you want to spend setting up the track, you can connect the point motors or not. The downside is that if the point motor burns out, it will be difficult to replace, but the points could still be used as manual points.

I used a Lenz LS150 to control 6 sets of points with Hornby points and Hornby point motors. Be careful when trying to use Hornby point motors with Peco points, The pins on the Peco points are too thick to fit in the driver arm of the Hornby point motors; they have to be trimmed to fit. The LS150 drives the Hornby point adequtely, but you have to use a 16V 45VA power supply to the LS150 otherwise it will keep resetting as it considers a power drop can only be caused by a shot circuit and the Hornby points are virtually a short circuit with a resistance of only around 3.5 ohm, so at 16V they draw well over 4 amp for about 10ms.

Instead of the LS150 a simple CDU (Capacitor Discharge Unit) can be built. Look at the page at CDU diagram (90% down the page). The title is "One Wire plus return Point Operation with individual capacitor". That used a simple spdt switch to control the point motor. The capacitor controls the duration of the pulse. A 2200uF cap will pulse longer than a 1000uF cap. This circuit acts as a CDU one direction and then uses the re-charge of the cap in the other direction, so it still needs a beefy power supply. But at least the pulse is timed in both directions and won't fry the point motor.

I would have included a photo of the mounted point motor here, but I can't work out how to upload a photo.

Hope this helps somebody out there that does not have the luxury of a permanent layout.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi shumifan50
Welcome to the forum
Good tip for someone without the luxury of a layout as you say, to upload a picture here get a phototobucket account click on choose files there and upload you images from your my pictures on the PC once uploaded go to your album on there and click the picture save it and upload here on the site then add to your posting or copy and paste the IMG code on the right of your picture on Photobucket into your posting here.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

If you have not glued all of your points to the celluloid, try sticking them down with sellotape thin double sided sticky tape.

I use this to initially set the points to ensure they operate correctly before screwing down. I have had them stuck down without screws for two months with no problems of movement. They can easily be removed and replaced this way if required.

AlanB

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi huys, thanks for the help.
A further update:

If you use Peco surface mount point motors (PL11) with Peco points the point motors come with a mount that attaches the point motor to the track. Sadly, the Peco points are so stiff that, unless you have like 22V/6A to drive them, they won't throw the points. I even tried them using a 2200uF CDU at 16V and it did not work - you need a higher voltage.

I will upload pictures of both my Hornby mod and the Peco mount for anybody interested.

Here is the Hornby mod:

and this is what the Peco mount looks like:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts