Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question - has any MRF member used Peco points without the spring fitted,
in a trailing manner so that the blades move over as required when the train
goes thru the point from frog to toe the same way all the time?
This would then save on a point motor & control method.
To me, Insulfrogs pose no problems but if Electrofrogs are used, then I think
the frog rails will need to be modified so that only about 1" -(25mm) is not
electrically connected.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was able to obtain an old Peco pont, remove the spring & making sure the blades moved freely & ran a loco with wagons thru it from the frog to tiebar & had no problems in shifting the blades across. I even slowly pulled a light weighted open wagon thru it via a piece of string & that too moved the blades OK so this means I will save a point motor per loop - 8 saved so far now.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doug, planning to have some hidden loops on a uni-directional track for storage - points operated to set the entry track required but trains can leave the loops without having to set points. Not suitable for tracks that are used both ways.
A similar process is used on some USA points ( Atlas, Lifelike) while they are manually operated to select one or the other track, the exit can be via sprung-loaded blades - most of these type of points are powered on both tracks all the time.
My loop tracks will have an isolating switch to give a dead section before the exit point.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Sol @ 29 Jul 2007, 13:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A similar process is used on some USA points ( Atlas, Lifelike) while they are manually operated to select one or the other track, the exit can be via sprung-loaded blades

As a matter of interest the same appies to Fleischmann points.

Regards

1 - 5 of 5 Posts