Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently started to turn my dc layout into dcc (u thought the trains would run better)most of the trains do but nearly all of them struggle of points,can anyone help please

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Keith,

I've only just started in this hobby, but I'm not having problems with points though.

Did everything run ok on DC?

If so I would think it's not the points as the rolling stock and points are the same.

I've started mine using DCC, on reading other forums I've used electro frog type points as the dont cause as moany problems with derailing.
You may also need to add power connections to the point and insulate the two out rails.

Sorry can't be more help new to this myself.

Ian

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
When you say struggle what exactly do you mean? Is it stopping and starting or is the point not being thrown? At first I was wondering if you are not shorting out but then you mention that you were running DC before so I assume there were no problems then. Some people have said that DCC is more prone to having problems with power unteruptions as well but I have not found that to be a problem.

Can you either isolate sections of your track or create a small test track with a couple of points? The idea is to try and narrow the possible problem you are having.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the trains stop when they go over the points ,i am using normal points an elec points if thats any help

·
Registered
352 Posts
I had a similar problem when i changed from DC to DCC, i connected my track up so that all the track was live all the time, so that i got good continuity, when some of my older locomotives which have slightly wider tyres, passed over the frogs on the points the wheels shorted out the system, if you think this may be happening, run your loco over the points slowly and look closely to see if the outside of the power pick up wheels are touching the rail on the turn out. you some times see a small spark when this happens. good luck

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (keith @ 30 Jul 2006, 21:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i have recently started to turn my dc layout into dcc (u thought the trains would run better)most of the trains do but nearly all of them struggle of points,can anyone help please

Are you absolutly sure that all the wheels & pickups are OK ?

Does this happen only with specific locos or specific points ?

Double check with a meter, adjust & clean if necessary. Also check that you have good continuity throughout the pointwork rails & that the back to backs are OK. Momentry shorts because of wide flanges, too narrow back to backs can cause problems with DCC which are not noticable on analogue.

If the DCC system shuts down (the overload on DCC is electronic & virtually instant, whereas on analogue there is a delay before the overload operates.)

Hope this helps - if not please let us knowe & also what system, loco's & pointwork you have.

best regards
Brian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it only happens on certain trains an points when the locco slows up or stops all together.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Keith, you are not being very specific

You are obviously not getting current to the loco.

Make sure the loco wheels are clean. The track too must be clean and the point blades must also be clean (if you are not wiring up your point frog separately).

Points with DCC should have the inner rails of the exit tracks isolated. These are the rails that connect to the frog.

Generally you power the rails of the point from the rails going into the points. As the rails going out are isolated, you need power feeds on the tracks on the other side of the points too.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Lets firm up on the Loco, make of points, insufrog or electro frog, and how your DCC layout is wired.
I think until you supply a bit more information your only going to get a general type of answer. Oh and are there any loco's that do run through these turnouts well, and if so what ?.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts