Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The above layout is wired for cab control,and works fine on both tracks until I throw the points to cross over past section 2.The loco stops on the points and the outside track is dead.The inside track is live apart from section between points and next insulated section.What is going on?Help!

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
When you say 'Cab Control' are you using double pole switches to feed each section completely independently of the adjacent section? Or is one rail common to all sections?
Are you using toggle or rotary switches?
Are you using insulated or live frogs on the points?
Have you checked the contacts putting power to the point blades are working?
Does any controller indicate a 'short circuit' at all?

Very basic queries follow:
Are all the cab control switches working properly, have you got the polarity of each section the right way round and there are no broken connections?

If you can clarify the above I and others may be able to offer possible solutions to your problem.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi-thanks for response. I am using spdt toggle switches,each section is separately powered.Everything works fine before throwing the point,polarities therefore fine. It is only the outside track that is dead when the relevant point is thrown.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have checked all connections and everything seems fine-as I say,switching cabs is fine on all sections until I operate the poitsjoining circuits,then 7 and 8 are dead. If you think the wiring on the points could be the problem,I will lift them and try and ascertain.I don't get any sign of shorting from the controller,and the inner track stays live up to point and beyond the next insulation. Just so long as the position of feeds and insulations seems OK?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
QUOTE (davehunt @ 2 Mar 2009, 16:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have checked all connections and everything seems fine-as I say,switching cabs is fine on all sections until I operate the poitsjoining circuits,then 7 and 8 are dead. If you think the wiring on the points could be the problem,I will lift them and try and ascertain.I don't get any sign of shorting from the controller,and the inner track stays live up to point and beyond the next insulation. Just so long as the position of feeds and insulations seems OK?

Hi There.
When you switch the crossover points does the loco stop no matter where it is on the layout or does it happen only in section 7 or 8 ?

It's a real puzzle but the answer is probably quite simple.

I presume that you have 8 different sections. Switch off all the sections.
Then starting with section 1, switch it on & test to see if you have power in that section. Make sure that all other sections are switched off.
Go through all the sections in this way & see if each section works individually.When testing a section make sure that all the other sections are switched off.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had a similar problem with a brand new Peco electrofrog point recently when I was laying my track work. I discovered, after the trouble of taking up the point, that the smallest, tinyest plastic residue was insulating the contact on the point. A swift removal and I have not had any problems since. Perhaps next time I will check the continuity of a point with a meter before laying. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
whilst you have indicated the feeds..you haven't indicated the ''polarity'' of those feeds.

At first glance it may be worth checking that the polarity of #7 is the same as #2?

ie have the feed wires to the two adjacent sections actually been swapped over, so that, either side of the insulating break, on the same 'rail'..you have a +ve and a -ve?

a test would be, with #7 and #2 switched to the same controller[?]...if you place a test bulb across the gap on the same rail, does it light up?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts