Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is the train headed by the LNER Silver fox travelling on the South Eastern Railways Dover line?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Which I suspect could have been the single track Bluebell line anyway?

Few film or TV producers/directors/location arrangers know anything, it seems, about railways. I think they could ask for just a bit more information, but no doubt they are concentrating on the artistic side and/or the cost.

Just remembered one beautiful 'howler' - the episode of Sherlock Holmes (The Final Solution) has Holmes and Watson going by train to Dover to catch a boat. They decide to get off the train to throw Moriarty off the scent. While still on the station they hurriedly take cover as a special train comes through with Moriarty looking out of a window. The whole incident is clearly filmed on the single track of the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway at Oakworth Station; the train is the 'Old Gentleman's Coach' as used in the 1970 version of 'The Railway Children' and is hauled, I think, by an ex-GWR Pannier! The surrounding hills bear no resemblence to the Kent countryside that they are supposed to be travelling through whatsoever!
Regards,
John

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 6 Dec 2007, 22:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Few film or TV producers/directors/location arrangers know anything, it seems, about railways. I think they could ask for just a bit more information, but no doubt they are concentrating on the artistic side and/or the cost.

You only have to think about the awful backing (or in some cases "fronting") music drowning out the sound of the trains in TV "Railway Documentry's to second that !

I always get told off for commenting on the "DB" logos on the coaches in The Great Escape - & that would have been very easy to rectify.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Another one that comes to mind was, I think, the BBC series Secret Army. In one episode a German troop train was moving at night and came through camera shot with smoke and mist in abundance to reveal....92240 minus smoke deflectors in deepest Sussex.

Regards

1 - 5 of 5 Posts