Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else watch this tonight and more specifically did anyone get the shedcode on the front of the "French" BR standard pulling the train? Nice of them to paint it into French livery with a French smokebox type number but what a faux pas leaving that on!!

I believe the rolling stock looked like that which I saw at the NRM in York last time i was there.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I didn't see the program itself but the loco on the adverts last week was 73050 City of Peterborough based at the Nene Valley Railway with what looked like Wagons-Lit coaches in tow.

Did they change the crest on the tender as well? It looked like the early BR one still on the adverts...!

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Yes, I saw the programme. The tender crest was covered up with 'DB', I think, lettering, not with SNCF! The last few minutes, where the villain tries to escape and then commits suicide by standing in front of the approaching train on the opposing track, looked very much like Wansford to me. But the shots were carefully controlled to leave out details such as signals and station buildings.

Coach exteriors, and possibly some interiors, were Nene Valley Railway's (NVR) stock, I am sure.

Good story, but shame they could not use one of the NVR continental locos for a bit more realism.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Trains featured in several films over the holidays that I watched.

"Young Winston" featured South African SAR railways and had a Class 9F complete with cow catcher fitted at the front. It looked like the North Yorkshire Moors railway. Could not work out what the 0-6-0 was as it was heavily disguised but did look a bit like one of those Southern Railways American tank locomotives used around the south coast during the war with an oil tank wagon on the back.

"101 Dalmations" featured the Simplon-Venice Orient Express with several Pullman coaches and initially it left Waterloo being hauled by 4472 Flying Scotsman but two minutes later the same train was being hauled by a Black 5.

"Lawrence of Arabia" did seem to feature genuine Turkish locomotion however this was all being blown up so I suspect most of it was due for the Turkish equivalent of Barry Scrapyard at the time.

Also watched Poirot as I am a glutton for any drama on a train but dozed off and woke up just a Poirot was revealing who done it. The previous late night was catching up.

Now if they had put "From Russia with Love" or "Von Ryan's Express" on over the holiday they would have had at least one Model Rail Forum viewer also!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
'Railways on the Screen' by the late John Huntley says that in 'Young Winston' Longmoor Military Railway was used. This was almost certainly the location and possibly the source of locos for the 0-6-0 and goods trucks where Winston is escaping - the level ground is also typical of the LMR. But the 'Amoured Train' sequence is more difficult. I don't think it is the NYMR - too craggy for that part of the world. Possibly somewhere in Scotland or just possibly the Grassington branch? Can anybody out there help?

Good watching for railway films for 2006.
John Webb

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
In Young Winston the loco was clearly a 48/14XX - you see the 0-4-2 wheel arrangement clearly where the driver tried to run for it! The location could well be NYMR, stone buildings and wall in evidence.

Gary, to be a complete pedant, I think the second loco in 102 Dalmatians was a Standard 5 - Bluebell Railway?

Ghandi had some good railway scenes as well.....

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE Gary, to be a complete pedant, I think the second loco in 102 Dalmatians was a Standard 5 - Bluebell Railway?

You may be right. It only appeared for about 2 seconds and I was more stunned by the fact it was not Flying Scotsman than anything else!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I have to admit I love the inconsistences in films - I remember a Sean Connery Bond film ("From Russia With Love"?) which featured half a dozen different classes (mostly British) on a single train....

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
BEHIND THE SCENES OF POIROT: THE MYSTERY OF THE BLUE TRAIN

Programme on ITV 3 tonight (Tuesday 3rd Jan) at 9pm, looking at the making of the new series. May reveal a bit more about the train scenes.

Good viewing,
John Webb

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Talking of bond films does anyone know which railway they filmed the heavily disguised "Russian" class 20 or which loco it was? I think it was in goldeneye but may be wrong. It was definitely a Brosnan one.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Have just watched 'The making of Poirot' on ITV3. Railway confirmed as Nene Valley Railway, and clearly 'City of Peterborough' in disguise, though not explicitly stated as such. The BR crest was covered over, not by 'DB' as I thought in my previous posting but by a 30s style 'LTB' for 'Le Train Bleu'. Shed Plate left on was 35, either D or B - not quite clear which.

Carriage exteriors at NVR, with subsequent digital manipulation of the surrounding landscape. Interior carriage shots at Shepperton Studios with appropriate lighting effects and sound.

Hope this makes things clearer for those seeking information.

None of the other three stories in the series seems to have a railway in it, alas.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
The scenes from Golden Eye were also filmed on the Nene Valley Railway, they seem to have the knack of attracting film companies. I was involved in the filming of "Secret Army" there (our dear old De Glehn compound was the main star) which was one of the first series shot there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think it was in Mission Impossible 2 where Tom Cruise fights with someone on the roof of a Eurostar supposedly on a jouney from London to Paris.

Of course if he had done so, he would have been incinerated and/or torn apart by the OHLE.

The scene was actually filmed between Blackford LC and Gleneagles Station, on the mainline from Stirling to Perth, where there is no OHLE and there is no Third Rail. I think they used a Sprinter then replaced it with the Eurostar using CGI etc.

The scene ends at the point where the train approaches the bridge just south of Gleneagles Station - most convenient.

·
Registered
267 Posts
They didn't even get the roof scene correct in Mission Impossible as they made it look like more of a TGV as the train from London to Paris for the film (Meant to be a Eurostar). As far as i was aware TGV's aren't cleared to run over in the UK ???

I remember hearing on Video Track 40 something as they had a scene with a 33 and a 4TC set saying it had been used for the filming of Mission Impossible. Was that it?

·
Registered
77 Posts
QUOTE (Jennings @ 4 Jan 2006, 15:00)I remember hearing on Video Track 40 something as they had a scene with a 33 and a 4TC set saying it had been used for the filming of Mission Impossible. Was that it?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to admit I'm not sure. Now that you mention it, I can't even be sure if the scene with the Eurostar was in Mission Impossible or M.I. 2?

However it's extremely doubtful if a Class 33 would be in the Sc.R.

Someone else might know more. I got the info. about the Sprinter from a friend who's a Driver at Perth M.P.D. Having been a Driver, I recognised the line while watching the film on TV, and so I asked him what he knew about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It is a puzzle why t.v. and films are so inaccurate on depiction of railway subject matter.3 further mistakes:
Much was made of the 'cad's' travelling 3rd class-the through Calais-Nice train de luxe only conveyed 1st & 2nd class carriages in the late 30s
Since these were sleepers and diners owned by "The International Sleeping Car Co."they should have of course been "Wagons-Lits" all blue[Viz "Le Train Blue"]and not the blue and cream pullman cars shown in the programme which were used on day time 'trains de luxe';
Idoubt if ticckets would have shown"Le Train Blue" since this was a nickname-the official title was Calais-Paris-Mediterranean[San Remo]Express.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some railway lines seem to be preferred in tv roles and get a lot of work. My local line the KWVR has a good pedigree, aside from the obvious one the railway children it is also used in Born and Bred and the DMU was vinyled up for an episode of Frost which is also filmed in numerous places around where i work.

As for the matter of films getting railway scenes correct i suppose the majority of people couldn't tell the difference between an SNCF loco or a BR standard anyway. Its only the same as films like top gun with the "soviet" MIG fighters being nothing other than US air force trainer aircraft or Nazi military convoys full of GMC trucks and half tracks all duly protected by a division of Patton tanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Having finally had a chance to sit down and watch the Poirot "Train Bleu" I now see that the logo on the loco's tender was a representation of the "TB" logo on the tickets, a sort of octagonal, shirt-button effort!

·
Registered
32 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 3 Jan 2006, 10:35)'Railways on the Screen' by the late John Huntley says that in 'Young Winston' Longmoor Military Railway was used. But the 'Amoured Train' sequence is more difficult. I don't think it is the NYMR - too craggy for that part of the world. Possibly somewhere in Scotland or just possibly the Grassington branch? Can anybody out there help?

As its a 14xx I thought that it might have been somewhere in Devon/Cornwall.
Pete

1 - 20 of 26 Posts