Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Thanks to LMS 10456 for the suggestion about Cornwall. I somehow managed to fail to spot the 14xx lurking under the 'armour plate'. I think somewhere in the West Country is most likely, although it's some time since I've been that way.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 2 Jan 2006, 10:27)Yes, I saw the programme. The tender crest was covered up with 'DB', I think, lettering, not with SNCF! The last few minutes, where the villain tries to escape and then commits suicide by standing in front of the approaching train on the opposing track, looked very much like Wansford to me. But the shots were carefully controlled to leave out details such as signals and station buildings.

Coach exteriors, and possibly some interiors, were Nene Valley Railway's (NVR) stock, I am sure.

Good story, but shame they could not use one of the NVR continental locos for a bit more realism.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you are right the stock was from nvr

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
'Railways on the Screen' by the late John Huntley says that in 'Young Winston' Longmoor Military Railway was used. This was almost certainly the location and possibly the source of locos for the 0-6-0 and goods trucks where Winston is escaping - the level ground is also typical of the LMR. But the 'Amoured Train' sequence is more difficult. I don't think it is the NYMR - too craggy for that part of the world. Possibly somewhere in Scotland or just possibly the Grassington branch? Can anybody out there help?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
/quote]

'wheredidtheyfilmthat.co.uk' says the South African scenes were filmed at Abercrave. This was on the Neath and Brecon, and I am guessing it was either freight-only or had just closed in the early 70s when this film was made. It's on Multimap as 'Abercraf'. The film had credits for British Railways and the GWR Society.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
My thanks to Edwin re the Abercrave location. According to the 'British Railway Atlas 1955', published by Ian Allan, the line through Abercrave was already 'goods only' then. I've only been to South Wales twice, the first time was when I was only a year and a half old - but I do remember the 0-6-0PT on the train.

Regards,
John Webb

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.