Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have just completed my first plastic kit (Ratio Goods shed) for more years than I care to remember.

I started with Humbrol Liquid Poly which is much easier to use than the old tubes.

I don't know if this has a shelf life but it simply would not stick any of the parts together. I tried on at least three areas of the model and even the ridge tiles, which I thought had stuck, promptly fell off when I turned the building upside down the next day. So I finished the model using super glue.

Has any one else had a problem with the liquid poly?

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Next time your in Joburg Peter buy your self 1/2 a doz bottles of Fleishmann expert (from hobbies & Models) it's the best. When the tube becomes block which it does from time to time a quick bit of heat with a light clear it no problem.
Regards
and I hope your keeping well
Rich

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Peter Armond @ 27 Sep 2006, 07:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have just completed my first plastic kit (Ratio Goods shed) for more years than I care to remember.

I started with Humbrol Liquid Poly which is much easier to use than the old tubes.

I don't know if this has a shelf life but it simply would not stick any of the parts together. I tried on at least three areas of the model and even the ridge tiles, which I thought had stuck, promptly fell off when I turned the building upside down the next day. So I finished the model using super glue.

Has any one else had a problem with the liquid poly?
No thats what I use and I have never had that problem. How old was the glue?

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
I think we all started with the poly cement as thats what was around, then progressed onto liquid poly, better but still not the best, smells nice though if you like pear drops!

What I now use is Plastic Weld, if you can get Railway Modeller in South Africa, have a look for it in the small ads and mail order it in, Plastic Weld is a brand name but there are other ones around, it works along the same idea as liquid poly but is much faster and literally 'welds' the two pieces together and gives a very strong join

Hope this is of help

Bro Sewell

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Fleishmann expert is excellent and highly recommended. A little bottle lasts a long time, and the steel capillary
tube means you only apply the product where it's needed.
Flieshmann expert in the Uk at £2.25 it's a steal (from Gaugemaster)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Humbrol bottle I have is about 2 years old.

MMD thanks for the advice, I expect to be in Jo'burg late next month and as I usually call at Hobbies & Models I will give the Fleishmann a try.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 27 Sep 2006, 07:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fleishmann expert is excellent and highly recommended. A little bottle lasts a long time, and the steel capillary
tube means you only apply the product where it's needed.
Flieshmann expert in the Uk at £2.25 it's a steal (from Gaugemaster)

Surely you mean "Faller" ?

Close (both start with an "F").

Seriously, it is one of the best liquid poly that's reasonably easy to buy.

best regards
Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts