Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it just me or is the manufacturing quality of some Graham Farish/Bachmann models very poor as of late...!
Perhaps I'm just too critical but it seems to me that Backmann & Chinese Manufacturing arm is more concerned about profitability than quality of product.

Here is a GF/Backmann 372-153 Class 8F 48773 2-8-0
Note the defect in the injection molded rear tender, there is a chunk missing ?

Here is a GF/Backmann 371-907 Class 57xx 0-6-0 Pannier tank 6724
The smokestack is bent!, this particular 372-153 is very noisy (somewhat similar to my grandmothers manual singer sewing machine)

It would be great to hear your comments, even if I'm talking a load of garbage.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi Rhodesia,

Welcome to the forum,
dont think your talking Garbage at all, i too am disallusioned by Farish/Bachmann and am selling off most of my British stock moving over to my American locos far better quality from makers such as life like/Atlas and of course Kato.
I bought a new class 37 one of the six pin types ready for DCC and one of the couplers was broken off from new shame really as it needs either to go back or the detailing set fitting.
The faults you have found are bad showing no quality control especially on the tender possilby wear of the mould leading to a chunk missing?
the smokestack is a result of the plastic not setting /cooling enough in the mould maybe again a case of speed and churning out rather than consideration to quality.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Well they certainly look to be defective. I guess you have a good case to take them back to wherever you bought them for a replacement, and it's only fair to the retailer/manufacturer to let us know on here when you've done this (and of course whether the replacements had the same problem, as Upnick's comments suggest a possible batch fault).

I've only ever had one defective Farish item, a Class 66 with broken coupling and non-working tail lights same end suggesting perhaps it had been dropped. Replaced without quibble by the mail order shop, though with hindsight I should have asked them to reimburse my return postage too. Maybe the steam locos are more prone to this, with more complex shapes and using tooling inherited from the previous owner.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Welcome to MRF - quality control is a subject that comes up time & time again. IMHO, the only real way is to return the faulty item to the retailer for him to deal with. If the manufactures get enough faulty goods back then they will soon (hopefully) do something about the issue, certainly if the retailers start hitting them with out of pocket expenses !

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
IHMO ? Brian could you enlighten me please

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 16 Oct 2008, 07:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>"in my humble opinion"

Humble, you........................................

Regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts