Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have aquired a gearbox from a portescap motor. its missing the motor but the gearbox runs so beautifully that i would love to be able to use it. does anyone know of a motor that is a direct replacement for the portescap?

Its quite an early box before the moulds for the bevel gears started to degrade!

A lucky find indeed!!

Peter

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 30 Apr 2008, 20:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have aquired a gearbox from a portescap motor. its missing the motor but the gearbox runs so beautifully that i would love to be able to use it. does anyone know of a motor that is a direct replacement for the portescap?

Its quite an early box before the moulds for the bevel gears started to degrade!

A lucky find indeed!!

Peter

***Do you have the axle and motor gears for it peter? If so, then any motor with the correct shaft will do, or you could (Very precisely) drill out the motor gear to fit a larger shaft. If not, then it will be down to finding the correct gear.

fixing motor gear to shaft: Activate the shaft by rubbbing firmly with genuinely steel steel wool... this leave a fine residue that will be enough usually to get loctite to work (It will only go off properly in the presence of steel)

With a current mid sized mashima for example it will deliver excellent power to the wheels - actually more than the original motor did! Speed will be OK too - its ratio is from memory either 23 or 29:1

The benefit of this sort of gearbox is its efficiency - a worm drive gearbox loses about 40% of the motor energy due to its inefficient power transfer, whilst the portescap type bevel gear/spur gearbox loses only about 15% - the main reason why they were successful, as the coreless motor was actually not all that strong power wise.

Richard

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry i didnt get back to you richard. thanks for the information. it will be a great help i'm sure. i do have the spur gear for the motor. it looks like someone has removed the motor to replace another and i have the leftovers.

I have attempted the branchlines gearboxes and i really struggle to get them running sweetly.

thanks also for the info about loctite and steel. i didnt know that!

Peter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts