Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just completed the installation of the first two PLGS's on my layout which is based on York in the late 50s and early sixties and I thought that you may be interested.

In the photograph, no.16 is cleared for the Brit to back onto its train, no.17 is on . The first one is built from an Eckon kit with brighter LEDs. The second, no.17 is scratch built with fibre optics. It deliberately stands higher and is more asymetrical than the Eckart one. The next that ones I build will be even more asymetrical and physically about 15% smaller as I have built this one a bit too big.

Around the point blades I have added dummy point motors and connection boxes. The numbers were printed on my PC.

I can see that I have a little more ballasting to do.

Thanks to DWB for his photo of a Class 45 at Newcastle, it was most helpful

Colombo

·
Administrator
9,852 Posts
I like number 17 better. I agree with your intention to go more asymmetric, the size does not appear to be a problem. I'm using this photo from the gallery as my reference point - it's also the wallpaper on this PC.

QUOTE Thanks to DWB for his photo of a Class 45 at Newcastle, it was most helpful
I've forgotten that one; could you refresh me please?

David

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 31 May 2007, 18:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I like number 17 better. I agree with your intention to go more asymmetric, the size does not appear to be a problem. I'm using this photo from the gallery as my reference point - it's also the wallpaper on this PC.
I've forgotten that one; could you refresh me please?

David

David,

I have just checked and I have found that the photo that I was referring to was posted by Bullhead on the LNER forum under the string on Sutton Bonnington. Apologies to you and Bullhead for the false attribution,

Colombo

·
Administrator
9,852 Posts
QUOTE Apologies to you and Bullhead for the false attribution,
No problem;
I would never take credit for something I didn't do.

David

·
Registered
27 Posts
Colombo invited me over from the LNER Forum to post the class 45 picture mentioned earlier in this thread. Here it is:

Plus another, taken at the same time:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Bullhead,

Thanks for adding your photo, and the extra one as well. It is useful to have the signals and point motors in profile. Perhaps it will be a challenge too far to make a PLGS that thin. I was basing mine on the Eckon product - just enough room to bend the fibres through a right angle.

I think that I shall be starting on Mk3 next week.

Doug,

There is the two wire method where you use a double pole switch to swap the supply over from the red to the top white, leaving the bottom white on all the time, and then there is the method I have chosen to use which allows me to do some interlocking through the relay switches on my Fulgurex point motors. This involves the use of an on/off switch to energise a relay under the baseboard which swaps the supply to the lamps. This has clear advantages for interlocking and also reduces the additional wiring from my detachable control panel by 50%. I was fortunate to find a supply of cheap boards at Potts electronics shop in Derby. Each one contains four twelve volt relays wired up to a terminal strip in plastic boxes - for only £1.60 each. Needless to say I have bought quite a few of these.

Colombo

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone else noticed that Eckon are now offering their PLGS with white LEDs in place of the yellow ones normally supplied, with a slight price premium? It is nice to see that somebody is listening to us, thank you Eckon.

An old engine driver has told me that the light bulbs were always white, it is just that they looked yellow when the lenses got dirty and it was someones job to go round and clean them all. He said that there were hundreds at York Station and it was the very devil of a job for a driver to check everyone as he approached the station and drove into the platform. He says that the best way to deal with them was just to close your eyes. He was joking of course......I hope!

Colombo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts