Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (ChrisNP @ 30 Apr 2008, 18:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have been advised that there is an incompatibility between Hornby decoders and Lenz controllers. Is this true? If so do I have any solution other than changing the chip in the 'N' class? And does it mean that I would have the same problem with any future purchases of Hornby locos fitted with their chips in the factory? Or is there a problem with the Lenz kit?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Chris

The hornby chips still have many code errors and are not just imcompatible with Lenz, they are better described as incompatible with DCC. They do work OK with hornbys system, but exhibit problems on almost all others.

Re the error 02 - that really says "can't read the decoder - which is true, the hornby decoder has no readback ability. you could simply do a reset of Cv1 to the number you want anyway, but it'll keep re-setting itself.

There have been some software improvements but there is still no way to say it nicely - it fails to implement even mandatory CVs properly and has B-all adjustment of any use to modellers so it is just a bad choice of decoder. Current slightly better ones have a red dot on the chip, and I believe another revision is due soon which will have a yellow dot on the chip... but to me its better advice to simply get another brand.

I would ask the shop to replace it with bachmann or any other brand. TCS is a good choice if cost is an issue, as the TCS chips run superbly with hornby and bachmann loco's and are very reasonable. If they won't replace it then take it out and dump it anyway... its not fit to be marketed as a DCC product.

Yes, you will continue to have problems with all basic honby decoders incuding those fitted to their DCC onboard loco's. I would definately avoid them 100% of the time...

Richard Johnson
DCCconcepts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (ChrisNP @ 30 Apr 2008, 19:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Richard,
Thank you for that swift and comprehensive reply. I will certainly be back to the shop and get another chip put in.
I think that in future I might have a go at chipping my own locos.
I appreciate also your advice on suitable chips to use.

Thanks

Chris

***Hi Chris

Yes, have a go - always happy to help if you need advice, and its not hard to do.

Give the TCS range a go. There are four very useful models. All seem to give exceptional performance with no need to tweak the back EMF at all. DO cut any supporession capacitors out of the loco's though, as these do affect slow running on DCC by masking the reality of the motors back EMF to the decoder.

M1-UK - 2 fn, super small but tough - has an 8 pin plug with the wires properly oriented for UK models
Mc2-UK - 2 fn, similar to M1 but slightly larger (a tiny bit) as it has the wires on a harness that can be removed from the decoder too
DP2-UK - no wires at all, 2 function, fits may many UK loco's dead easy
T-1 - 2fn, conventional sized decoder, usually an excellent price for a full sized decoder with huge power handling.

ALL have a no questions asked goof proof warranty too. I know John Russell at Bromsgrove models stocks them and has a good price / gives good service - not sure who else has them in UK though.

regards

Richard
DCCconcepts

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.