Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Would anybody with inside information care to enlighten us as to why packages handled by the Post Office receive little or no respect?

It seems not so much about package handling as package throwing (or even package football) these days.

And bearing in mind the extortionate amount of money demanded for handling packages in the UK are we not entitled to expect some care to be taken?

I raise this as what I thought was improbable just became possible.

OK you can claim compensation and maybe this is the excuse but I personally don't like filling in forms and if I do claim compensation why am I made to feel like a crook with the threatening wording used in correspendence about fraudulant claims. I simply want my package to arrive in the condition that it left.

Is this asking too much?

Also has anybody got any tips for packaging to reduce risk of shipping damage?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Put a label on the outside:

Contains Nitroglycerine - do not shake!

I also get frustrated with postal workers. When I sometimes send a parcel, I squirm when the lady behind the counter takes my parcel and after sticking on a fragile sticker, proceeds to lob it into the collection bin behind her.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Doug - nice idea about 'Nitro-glycerine' but these days would probably result in a visit from anti-terrorist police, etc.!

Gary, you don't say what was being transported. I can only suggest:
Stout outer box with item in orginal packing inside and padding (Crumpled paper, plastic foam, foam chips or the 'air bags' popular with some people) allowing the item to be cushioned from direct impacts.
Outer box either given extra layers of corrugated cardboard, or if stout enough just covered with brown paper.
Clear labelling - print on computer labels.

Or use DHS or one of the other courier services - they seem to treat things better than Parcel Post or the Post Office.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE Or use DHS or one of the other courier services - they seem to treat things better than Parcel Post or the Post Office.

Thats exactly what I was thinking but they are no good for small packages and one offs. The Post Office have a monopoly and they abuse it by throwing customers packages around (unless you pay the extra £5 for "Special" delivery or whatever. Notice how the staff handle these packages entirely differently in a different coloured postal sack. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! All packages should have equal treatment)

The item itself (a building) did not get damaged as there was plenty of cushioning however the box had been compressed and was several inches shorter than when it left as if it had been put in a crusher. The box was stout so it must have been some force that was used.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having calmed down I have probably been a little hard on the Post Office as they normally do a good job. This was an airmail package so it could have been an Australian postie playing football.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>Or use DHS or one of the other courier services - they seem to treat things better than Parcel Post or the Post Office.
Some years ago a van driver whose round included our business park was known as "Mr. Blobby" due to the way he handled packages and his general driving. I don't think it was malicious, just careless thoughtlessness. We didn't use his company for deliveries, and having the name of an explosive on the van didn't seem to have a dampening effect either.

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I've worked as an agency truck driver for quite a number of carriers/couriers - they are all about the same with their actual handling. This is one of the most competative businesses going so there is no time allowed for real care.
You also have to realise that the wages paid are not good either - if we want batter handling & more care then the already highish rate will go up, so we cannot have it both ways.
Regarding packaging - bear in mind that your package may very well be at the bottom of an 8' high container, so no matter how carefully it is handled, it will have a lot of weight on it !

I have not included the shower that use red vehicles - as a customer we have more problems with them than than the rest put together.

Whilest on the subject of costs - why does it cost about double to send a package to Germany as it costs the Germans to send a similar one here ?

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 15 May 2007, 22:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Whilest on the subject of costs - why does it cost about double to send a package to Germany as it costs the Germans to send a similar one here ?
Why do you think?! We're being ripped off as usual!

Why is a bank transfer to Europe £25 with my current bank Abbey National and has to be done on paper at a branch instead of online?
Because they're lazy and greedy.

Why does my postman never bother to get my signature on parcels with a big red 'signature required' sticker on?
Because he's lazy and takes no pride in his task - it's just a job...

At least Inland Revenue are fast and efficient, and with all those Adam Hart-Davis adverts that helpfully remind about the tax return deadlines I'm very happy with their performance. It's a shame the government isn't quite so good at spending the money so collected...

Goedel

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Because the postal service here is extra crap I plan ahead and pack things extra well. I base my packing on the assumption that my parcel will be drop kicked from here to the UK.

On the subject of charges I bought a DVD yesterday from Amazon Germany and the postage was 10 quid from Germany to Ozz. Normally from the UK it's three quid. I wasn't too happy about that so I thought I'd get it sent to my UK address instead and pick it up later or get it sent on and it was 9 quid to send it to the UK. This seems outrageous and if it wasn't something really wanted I wouldn't have bought it.

They're having a laugh in my opinion.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yes it's a bit of a catch 22 situation. Packing itself is extra weight but I think it's worth the extra effort to allow for PO football!

·
Registered
107 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 16 May 2007, 00:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Because the postal service here is extra crap I plan ahead and pack things extra well. I base my packing on the assumption that my parcel will be drop kicked from here to the UK.

On the subject of charges I bought a DVD yesterday from Amazon Germany and the postage was 10 quid from Germany to Ozz. Normally from the UK it's three quid. I wasn't too happy about that so I thought I'd get it sent to my UK address instead and pick it up later or get it sent on and it was 9 quid to send it to the UK. This seems outrageous and if it wasn't something really wanted I wouldn't have bought it.

They're having a laugh in my opinion.

I paid €15.50 to Canada for I suspect the same DVD as I gave you the details of.
Last year I paid €18 for 2 DVD's from Amazon.de.
I think €15.50 is roughly 10 quid.
My Henschel-Wegmann set cost €50 airmail from Berlin.Germany seems the most expensive.
DVD's from Amazon.uk seems cheaper.
A 2kg book,Britain at War unseen archives from the Daily Mail from Australia on ebay cost $49.50AUD airmail,this was confirmed by the postage paid by sender.
Seemed a bit much to me.
Them's the breaks I guess.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I had a few items damaged in the post a few years ago
For the first dozen or so claims this wasn't a problem
However, after this Royal Mail wanted proof and more details, which I duly provided
The following year three claims were declined AND the damaged packaging was never returned
At the same time about 20% of all my post stopped being delivered, some if it had to be reported as stolen
As a result I made an appointment to see the Regional Manager responsible
I showed him copies of all the claims over that time and he agreed there was clearly something wrong, and would also investigate why the claims were declined and also why the packaging was not returned
Several months went by and he advised he was still waiting some reports back
Six months later and a letter arrived, damaged!
This was the final outcome apologising for the delay and included the compensation, however this too was returned for a report as being damaged

A further meeting was also arranged, and this had two outcomes
It was recommended I send and receive all mail by RECORDED delivery
This has greatly helped, as I now know when I am receiving mail, although some senders of post disregard my requests even I do make it very clear, and in some cases pay the difference
As a result I ask people to send to me by Second Class RECORDED rather than First Class, even with a proof of posting
The second stage was to reidrect all my post via the Regional Security Centre, where I now collect them when it shows as "items to collect" online
That way all my post is tracked and using tracking from RECORDED delveries helps with this
Over the last 9 months just one item has been lost and none damaged

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had several models sent to me in the post from retailers ans only 2 have been damaged. one was a fairburn tank that was destroyed, but the insurance paid up, the other was a kit built model that fell apart, it would have required better packaging thats all.

So even though it costs a few bob more I prefer the sender to use a courier service such as UPS / DHL and to put seom decent packaging around the item.

·
Registered
487 Posts
With regards to postal deliveries of small packages and charges.
One of my locomotives required attention, parceled and taken to the local post office. I was offered first or second class £1.86 or £1.34 - I decided on first class. Parcel being delivered next day.
The same locomotive required further attention and posted this time second class - parcel was delivered four days later.

Apparently, 52p of a difference, certainly makes a vast difference in time factor!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Gary,

I, too, have wondered how come whenever I have something parcelly sent from the UK, the package that gets here arrives as if a tank has rolled over it. Fortunately, most UK sellers know about the shoddy service and use lots of shredded paper or styrofoam chips. Still, it´s a nuisance. Particularly since I get packages from all over the world; Japanese CDs, US Dvds, models from Italy, Austria, Russia, Denmark, let alone from Germany - but it seems only the parcels from the UK are affected.

As for the postal rates, I tend to double-check them on the web. And if the discrepancy between what the seller wants and what he has to pay himself is too high, then it´s "no sale".

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife ran a internet business for 10 years selling retired/discontinued porcelain figurines, for the UK we only used Royal Mail Special delivery guaranteed next day delivery. We would wrap with red "Fragile" tape and use the black "Glass" stickers. We had only two items damaged on arrival, in all that time, both were settled by Royal Mail insurance within five working days.

Our tips are:

We would box the item with a minimum of 4 inches of packing round it.
We would pay for the best service and insure for the correct amount.
We never ever used Parcel Force.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts