Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
244 Posts
A DCC bus is two thick cables running around the layout under the baseboards and they connect to your DCC controller then you have two wires soldered to every section of track which are called droppers then you connect them to the bus wire.

This what I am using for my BUS Red and Black Wires.

And I am using this wire for my Droppers which I already have in the loft and they will be soldered to every section of track.

And to connect them together I am using CRIMP BLUE TAP SPLICE & CRIMP BLADE SPLICE

· Registered
244 Posts
Hi Brian I'm using the 1.5MM TRI-RATED CABLE rated at 21A and I am using the crimps as there isn't much room under my layout as we still store a lot of stuff in the loft so using the crimps will make it alot easier for me,if the space under my layout was empty I would solder the wires to the BUS wires but seeing as under the layout is completely full of stuff using the crimps will make the job easier.

· Registered
244 Posts
Well you have talked me out of buying them I suppose at the end of the day a soldered joint is best so I'll spend the money on more solder as I can see I will need quite a bit of it,so I will just order the wire for the BUS and some other things I need from Rapid on Saturday.

When my mum decides she wants the Christmas Decorations down from the loft I will be able to move stuff about more better and I will be able to solder the droppers to the bus,but while I wait I can solder the droppers to the track rails in the Hidden Sidings.

· Registered
244 Posts
I'm not sure what thickness the wire hornby have used for there DCC set but the wire I am using for my BUS is 1.5MM TRI-RATED CABLE and costs £15.22 for a 100m reel which I am getting two reels red and black,and I am using this for my droppers 16/0.2 WIRE CABLE and costs £7 for a 100m reel and it will be attached to every section of track which will be a lot on my layout but I have this wire already in the loft.

That is for my 21ft x 6ft twin deck layout in our loft.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.