Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Hi guys, I'm in the middle of building a 30' OO layout with my brother.
My home layout is and always has been run by a pair of second hand H&M Duettes so I we don't really have a clue about how good or otherwise any of the power control equipment is that you can get these days so any advice you can offer would be very helpful.
Right let me try and tell you is what wanted.
We're not going for digital because we have a fleet of over 100 locos between us and it is just too cost prohibitive we are also members of our local model railway clubs who both run analogue layouts. We have locos that range in age from a Wrenn N7? right up to a Hornby class 31 and have found over the years that the "half wave" switch on the Duette is great in giving that extra control to new locos while the older stuff likes a bit more oomph to make it move. Examples of each extreme would be my Bachmann 'N' class that would be off at a million miles an hour without the half wave switch and my Princesses that wouldn't get out of bed with it. So we need a control system that can run smoothly locos with about 40 years difference in their ages has enough power to run a layout of 30' length be hand held and most importantly not cost an arm and a leg as we think we will need at least 5 hand held units for this layout.
Thanks for any help you can offer and who knows we may see some of you out there when we get it up and running.

Oh and happy birthday GaryD100

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you used them? I know of their existence just wanted some opinions on whether they'd do for the job we have in mind. At the moment we're thinking of something with a higher ampage output due to the length of the line and that we're only planning on feeding power in from each end to simplify the wiring based on the sort of running that we have in mind for it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have never used them before as i use two honrby H&M 2000 controller and a H&M 4000 R/H add-on for my layout which have 2amps output and my layout is 20ft 9" but the upper level will make 21ft but is only 6ft 6" wide.

I don't think there is any handheld controllers with alot of amps output not any that i have seen.Maybe some other members may know of any that have more amps output.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi 5696Arethusa
I can recommend both AMR and KPC (Kent Panel Controls) hand held units. Both can be found via model railway magazine adverts. Of the two, the AMR unit is smaller. You will, from my experience with these, have no problems. What you will need to install are some multipin plug and mating sockets (Such as DIN plugs/sockets) to enable the hand helds to be connected to their 16 volt ac supply and pass the controlled dc output to the rails. Normally the Yellow and Green wires feed the 16v ac to the controller while the Red/Black wires return the output dc to the rails.
No matter how long your layout the problem of volt drop due to length can be overcome by installing more than one track feed location i.e. run wires from the first track feed point to several other places within the circuit. Use something like 16/020 flexible wire or if your layout is a permanent one consider running a copper bus bar made up from stripped 1.5 or 2.5mm electrical cable around the underside of the layout. This will help improve running where high resistance occurs in fishplates (rail joiners) connections and at the same time reduce volt drop problems. If possible solder wires to the outside of rails to aid conductivity rather than use plug in rail connectors.
Good luck

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys will look into those you suggest. If anyone else uses any other controllers please let me know your opinion of them and I look forward to seeing some of you when we get out on the exhibition circuit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts