Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time in the future I would like to add lighting to my coaches.
So I am seeking various way to pick the power up from the track, and I am sure over the years you ingenious people have come up with various ways to achieve this.
So I am just seeking advice on the easy, simple and most effective methods yet developed.
cheers Duztee.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I use Branchlines wheelsets with one conductive wheel to the axle, then brass pin point bearings with thin wires attached to take the power away. This method avoids adding any drag to the axles, as often happens with rubbing strips, and is essentially maintenance free. However, you only get one extra contact per axle.
Typically, you might set the two axles within a bogie to conduct from opposite sides - or have both axles the same within a bogie, but different at each end of the coach. The first method is preferable if you have continuous track circuiting.
Of course, if split axle conductive wheelsets were more readily available, that would rather better as every wheel could be utilised.

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
If you have the chance to inspect one of the Bachmann Met-Camm Pullman models you will see the very neat method made possible by split axle wheelsets. Quite a few of the older Bachmann models came with split axles so it is worth fishing around. I did a deal with another modeller a few years back to replace the split axle wheelsets in his older Bach Bulleid coaches, with the current turned brass replacements. He was happy, because a few of the split axle wheels were 'wobblers' (it is possible usually to correct this), and I was happy having yet more wheels for 'frictionless' pick-ups.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts