Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Having done a few conversions now ( and not blowing up any decoders , he added fingers crossed
)
Most of my conversions have been Fleischmann loco's

Fleischmann use a lot of tender driven loco's and for simplicities sake I put the Decoder in the tender or Loco depending on how much room there is.

I also run the lights on "half-wave " power which means 1 less cable to fit through from Tender to Loco and the existing
lights don't need to be modified

In my last 2 installs (decoder in the tender) there has been a power pickup (-ve side) on the tender but no +ve.
In both cases I removed the pickup and supplied the rear light with power from the black wire( from the Loco power pickup)

My concern was (even though I have no separate block system) that the loco and tender pickups can end up on 2 different DCC blocks and cause a problem.

Regards Zmil

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 1 Jul 2008, 00:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Quite a number of my earlier FLM steam locos are "DCCed" this way - I just leave the front lights in circuit all of the time & change the bulbs/lamps for 24v ones.

Hi Brian
Do you mean the front lights on , permanently , not switched through the decoder ?
I have mine switched through the white wire and then they can be dimmed if necessary.
I generally program mine to dim at stop.
Regards Zmil

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.