Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 16v AC 3 amp power supply. Having tried the Farnell and RS websites I'm beginning to think that these are rather rare items. I need 3 amps because I have a Kadee electric uncoupler and that's the stated current required. I'm going for AC because the coupler comes with a bridge rectifier and in the near future I will want a 16v AC supply for some other stuff.

Anybody got any suggestions of where else to look? I did wonder about a Lenz TR150 but I haven't been able to find out if they are AC or DC output.

David

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dear David,

Check Maplins for a AC/AC convertor. Use this link Maplins and you should see 3 models. The L54BR looks like it fits your requirements, but please check carefully!

Regards
John Russell
Vienna, Austria

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Viessmann have some fairly large transformers in their range - the ain't cheap but they are cased, overload protected & approved for model railway use. Check their website www.viessmann-modell.de
If there is anything there of use send me a PM for details of where to obtain one.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the links both of you. The specs on the products from both companies look to be in the right ball park. The unit from Maplin is very competitively priced which suggests it is just a transformer in a user friendly box. There's a lot more information available on the Viessmann "lichttransformer" which gives me a better feeling about it - especially the built in overload protection.

David

·
Registered
204 Posts
The Lenz TR100 is rated at 45VA and has 15V 3A output (AC). It is approved for model railway use. The TR150 is rated for 5A output (again AC)

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that information Mark.

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts