Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Im sure we all are confident is the safe use of our power tools, but I think we should be reminded now and again about how bad these little fella's can be. Im off to Derriford hospital later to pick my dad up after an operation to put his fingers back on,(one has definetly gone in the bin),he is a great fan of the chop saw as it gets the job done easily. These things will destroy almost anything in their path and mine often drags the wood in towards the blade......just to remind us a bit more I'll post some pics of his shed,chop saw and the scene of the crime if you want...
...safe regards Frame in very sunny Padstow.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
My jigsaw and my router went to heaven at the week end when they failed to perform satisfactorily. Lets just say I wasnt in the best of moods and they are now in pieces (they wernt much cop any way as they needed replacing years ago)
Steve

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
In my four years as a wood machinist the only power tool I didn't like was the chop saw. Scared the ^%(*$ out of me. :) Give me a standard cross cut or rip saw any day.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (poliss @ 2 Apr 2009, 22:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In my four years as a wood machinist the only power tool I didn't like was the chop saw. Scared the ^%(*$ out of me. :) Give me a standard cross cut or rip saw any day.
Same here. I tend to be a bit gung ho with tools but when it comes to the mitre saw I take all the precautions possible. I never use a circular saw which my father in law is a big fan of. It's essentially a chop saw that isn't attached to a base. When we were doing lot's of DIY at my place some time back I do remember him up a shaky ladder using the circular saw with one hand while trying to keep his balance and trying to saw the top of this eight foot post. Unbelieveable. It always seems to be people other than him that gets hurt.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I use a chop saw, Jigsaw, Table saw and a hand saw and as yet have had no problems. You do need to "respect" these tools as they can "bite" back!

Sorry to hear about your dad Andy.

Kind regards

Paul

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
All power tools should be used carefully as they dont take prisoners, after working in a joiners i know the consquences of ignoring their destructive powers.

Andy send my best wishes to your dad.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks,going to pick him up today. On clearing up in the shed I found an item in the saw that maybe should have gone with him,decided not to post pics as I think they are a bit gory.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Sounds nasty in the extreme. Mind you I ended up with three stitches in my left thumb when my panel saw slipped - as I am lethal with anything the only power tool I use is a drill!

Regards

·
Dogsbody
1,387 Posts
Regards to your father, I hope he isn't put off DIY after this. I have a prtable circular saw that was bought for me as a present. To scared to use it !

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
I love my circular saw. Its great for cutting the tongue of tongue n groove floor boards to run new c/h pipes! Do have to treat it with respect and hope no daft sparky has pinned the wiring to the undersides of the boards (thats where the portable voltage/metal detector comes in handy)

Regards to your Dad Andy and I hope he recovers soon.
Steve

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad. I like the chop saw I bought last year and used to cut all the wood for my new layout. What I most like is the fact that the end is cut truly square which I could never quite achieve with a hand saw despite trying really hard.

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
What I forgot to say in my earlier post (and is probably too late anyway) is that if I am cutting any piece of wood less than a foot long then it is held in position by another piece of wood. I never get my fingers anywhere near that blade until it has completely stopped and the guard is covering it.

·
Alan D
1,480 Posts
Hi there, how's your dad now? I wish him well!

I play and teach guitar and couldn't cope if it were to happen to me!

I personally love my power tools but tend to use hand tools more now (apart from an electric screwdriver) especially with sawing, I find using a panel saw gets a straighter cut than the jigsaw, (Hand held circular saws are just horrendous - gave mine away - hated it) and to top it all it gives me more excercise (Trust me - I need it.)

I have a manual mitre saw and the circular version, again I tend to use the manual tool generally and the circular one for only big jobs.
Cheers

Alan

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Alan,I may not use my power tools as much as I used to,I play bass so could not afford to injure my fingers. Im taking him to plymouth hospital today for a follow up app. He has to go back in 6 months to have the rest of his finger removed.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 6 Apr 2009, 12:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>its not just the big tools either.

for a laugh i spun a carborundum slitting disc at full speed on my mini drill. it exploded and imbetted itself in me, the wall, and the layout. and the fragment left on the mandrell was heavy enough to bend and distort the mandrell.

Do take care guys.

Peter
Thats just plain stoopid!

Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts