Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi guys I wonder if anyone can help me and UPNICK.

We have managed to get some dummy chassis that Upnick is converting some for my locos and some for his layout.

I was wanting to put some lights in my N gauge dummy class 37 and 47 locos without having power coming from the tracks and I was thinking of using a 9 volt battery inside of the chassis to power some grain of wheat bulbs. But when it has been checked the battery would be way too big to fit into the chassis.

I want the front lights of the loco to light up if it is stood outside of my layout and I was wondering if there is anyway of using some kind of battery in the chassis to put power to the bulbs.

The 2nd part of my question is could I use 2 hearing aid batteries somehow stored in my loco chassis and if so would the batteries supply enough power to make the headlights on the loco shine bright enough or would I need to find a small but more powerful battery that would fit in an n gauge chassis about the same size as a class 37 chassis but with no motor in it.

I am wanting the locos as dummies so that I could store them as if on a scrapline but if the mood took me be able to put them outside of the depot as they used tick over switched on in the olden days before money was the master in prototypical land.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatfull.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 6 Apr 2008, 07:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi guys I wonder if anyone can help me and UPNICK.

<Snip>
I was thinking of using a 9 volt battery inside of the chassis to power some grain of wheat bulbs. But when it has been checked the battery would be way too big to fit into the chassis.

<Snip>

Any suggestions or tips would be greatfull.

***Hi

If you want to use battery power you should use LEDs not GOW bulbs as the current draw is far less. You will need appx 3 volts to turn on a white LED, and I'd still use a current limiting resistor to futher lower its current draw to >5mA

This is one install you definately do not want a super bright LED for - get the lowest rating you can buy (lowest rating = lowest power consumption). If you want light both ends parallel them. Try appx 200/500/1000 ohms in series between battery and the LEDs with whatever battery combination gives you 3 volts+ and see which you like the light level of.

You will need a simple way to connect/disconnect the power of course...

Richard

DCCconcepts

Richard

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that richard we will let you know how it goes and show yout some pics as well.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I use watch batteries which are 1.5volts if memory serves me correct then how would I get power from them as I have never tried to use these kind of batteries without it being used in a watch.

Do I need to use a holder of sorts or can I tape the batteries together putting the batteries + - + - and then put some wire on one side of the batteries and then the other?

Or any other kind of battery suggesttion that should fit into a n gauge dummy chassis.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Why not just power them off the track?

When they are on the scrap line just have the piece of track turned off, and when they are outside the loco shed, have the track powered.

John

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 7 Apr 2008, 17:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Why not just power them off the track?

When they are on the scrap line just have the piece of track turned off, and when they are outside the loco shed, have the track powered.

John

***You can get button type batteries in hgher than 3 volts however I am not sure of size. You can solder to them if you are quick and don't overheat them, but be careful.

Overall, I think Johns idea is a good one... use external power and you won't be cursing flat batteries every now and again....

either via the track

or

connect up a couple of very fine wires - have them come out of the loco in a low. logical place.... they can look like hoses or power leads or whatever, and disappear into the scenery or a building... if U used the wire from a dead motor armature it would be so fine (like a human hair) you'd probably not even notice it if it was painted matt black.....

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Here is the first conversion of our dummy locos .. the loco transformed from a bad repaint in freightliner colours now in its rightful livery ...

The chassis having a 12v battery installed powering two LED'S all it is awaiting now is buffers and the main lights drilling out and krystal klear .. pics can be found on my site here

http://nick--orwin.photoblog.me.uk/c1490501.html

Class 47 sorted now where did i put the 37's .... lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts