Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE If only we could get British outline of this quality!!!

There is British outline of this quality. A number of British kit manufacturers offer models in ready to run form if its a metal body you are after or metal detailing parts.

As long as you are prepared to pay the £250 asking price or whatever the figure is the quality is available.

I don't know about the DCC side of it though however if you want it fitted to a quality loco I am confident that there will be retailers who offer a fitting service to give the quality loco the DCC bits and bobs offered by Precison Craft.

One thing though. Quality is in the eye of the beholder so what would make this loco a "quality" loco relative to one that is not?

There is already an admission above that the brass bodied version was desirable but not affordable (or considered value for money?) and so this lower priced plastic version will be purchased.

Just curious as to be honest I don't see an aweful lot that is not currently specified or cannot be fitted (if the desire is there) in the latest Hornby and Bachmann models. The model above has a lot of detailing but surely that is because the original had all that Amercan plumbing and other bits and bobs that make American locos American locos! British model locos are twee and neat because of their lack of all this detailing which is not necessary because they don't need it!

So what is a "quality" model and how do you define it?

There are those who say that Wrenn offered quality models however in terms of detailing and accuracy they are not brilliant.

Happy modelling
Gary

PS I also note the use of traction tyres as per the model specification. Shock horror in a quality model!!!

PPS I do think its a great model so if it lifts your skirt or floats your boat then it is a bargain for the money being asked. Its the "quality" comment in relation to British models that has bemused me as I cannot see how this can be improved without a serious price increase and a much greater use of metal body and detailing parts. And this cost increase would be a concern.

PPPS The sound equiped loco and DCC is extra to the $399 asking price.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE There is already an admission above that the brass bodied version was desirable but not affordable (or considered value for money?) and so this lower priced plastic version will be purchased.

Apologise to Neil as I missed the fact it has a metal body and no doubt metal detailing parts. It has to be an absolute bargain!

Still maintain though that the market for UK outline products in the UK is not large enough for the mass market Hornby and Bachmann to get involved in poducts with all metal components.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Thats amazing. How do they do it for the money?

(Maybe the answer is a limited run in the USA is the same as a standard run in the UK. We must not forget how small the UK market is relative to the German or American markets and prices in the UK do reflect relatively small production runs. From an American perspective every UK model is a limited edition!)

If this is your thing then you must absolutely order one!

For not much more than the the price of a sound decoder you get a whole loco!

Happy modelling
Gary

QUOTE Well my christmas just came early with this model of the Great Northern S2 by Precision Craft. This was previously available as a BLI brass model and is now being issued by popular request as a regular metal body loco.

PS Neil. According to the spec the loco has an ABS body not a metal one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.