Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These last couple of weeks i have been sent a couple of printed catalouges and i had completly forgotten what a plesure it was to just browse propper paper pages.

I had become far too web orientated and focussed on what to purchase instead of just browsing and using your imagination.

I dont buy catalouges from the big manufacturers but the squires bible is never far away.

do any of you have any favorates?

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I must admit to being a bit of a fan of the Roco catalogue - a good thick publication, all in colour and most importantly it's free.

Regards

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi All

I must admit , I really enjoy looking at catalogs

It is what started me in this hobby

Back in the dim distant past I had a choice of Trains or Scalectix cars
My cousin had Scalectrix . So I chose trains . My uncle gave me a 1962 Fleischmann catalog which I read about 1000 times

I had to choose between a Passenger Set and a Freight Set, I chose Freight
My New trains came with a brand new catalog , I still have it to this day (and the original trains)
The catalog is in good condition however the pages have yellowed a bit from much reading and dreaming!

I have since collected every Fleischmann HO catalog (apart from the 1952)

Obsessed? probably!

Regards Zmil

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 16 Sep 2008, 12:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>These last couple of weeks i have been sent a couple of printed catalouges and i had completly forgotten what a plesure it was to just browse propper paper pages.

I had become far too web orientated and focussed on what to purchase instead of just browsing and using your imagination.

I dont buy catalouges from the big manufacturers but the squires bible is never far away.

do any of you have any favorates?

Peter

IMHO you juat cannot beat the pleasure in browsing a decent catalogue (even SHMBOWOQ) quite likes a look, which makes future purchases easier (not on the wallet though !).

& yes, the Roco is an excellent catalogue & does not suffer from the fact it's free !

We still get a fair amount of people at exhibitions that still ask for catalogues - not everyone is on the net.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm a big fan of catalogues - I still have all the Hornby ones collected from when I was a kid. Not a full set and some a bit worse for wear now, but I wouldn't part with them for anything (even though SWMBO has tried!)

It was always exciting to anticipate what was coming in the new catalogue and even though I couldn't afford to buy much of what was contained, they were always a constant source of inspiration and encouragement.

·
Registered
123 Posts
hi , i enjoy catalouges and have a few but at times they are a bit infuriating this years hornby has class 101 in blue & grey for second quarter release , last month i asked hornby on line reply was october . viewed thier web yesterday not quoted for sept/oct release.not sure i,ll be bothering with thier catalouge again but they arn,t the only culprits . they all build your hopes up and let you down nowadays. is it maybe best to spend your hard earned somewhere else and wait for the eyes up on this site . 2-3 catalouges a year = quite a bit of track . it makes you think they just print them to take more money off you for a few pretty pictures .perhaps they should think what we have to do to get a crust to give to them for pretend statement of intent
billy

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am really not a fan of the Hornby catalouge. Apart from it being rediculously expensive, I just dont find it a good read. I remember when i was a kid my father had a lima orient express set that had a picture on the back of a huge layout. i used to love looking at it and thinking how i would have made it, thinking about how i would run the trains. that simple picture was inspirational. it gave me ideas, that is what i want from a Hornby catalouge. i dont want a single picture that takes up a whole page that dosent really show me anything.

Peter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts