Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys (are there any ladies?)

Another new kid on the block.

Just about to buy a Lenz 100, but tried a PA whilst I was there. The PA seemed very easy to use with some direct function buttons, a rotary knob, I like the idea of routing, but like the idea of non DCC point control, go figure that one. No Pc control doesn't bother me. There is no review of the PA here, so is the 3.5 amps of th PA compared to the 5 amps of Lenz really significant in day to day use.

My layout is three circuits about 14m each plus a terminus, goods yard and steam yard. The layout will be locos and rolling stock, as much as I can fit in, all point motors with LEDs, (more Qs later on that), not going to do much scenic, but I will be having DCC sound, and probably loads more LEDs in time.

What do you reckon guys, Lenz or PA?

Ta

Tim

p.s. Any one in the York area?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I run the lenz system, I have a set 100, and an aditional LH 90 handset, thats the one with rotary control.

I have absolutely no complaints, it has worked perfectly, and service is ecellent, including a free upgrade to the lastest firmware when they recently released it.

Im not too familiar with the prodigy, but one thing perhaps is sound. As it progresses, you will need as many functions as possible. Lenz has 28 usable functions, which sounds overkill, but some of my US outline sound locos already use up to 16 of them with various sounds and lighing functions. The UK sounds will undoubtably go the same route , so its worth checking how expandable the prodigy is.

The difference between 5 amps and 3.5 amps is probably negligable for most home layouts unless you have several people operating simultaneously.

Even with sound, 3.5 is probably good for 4 or 5 locos running at once with plenty of overhead left, and if its just you, then thats probably enough to keep you occupied!

Best bet, as always, is to have a play with both if you can, its often as much about what feels right to you as it is about specsheets.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Tim

I also have the Lenz 100 and find it very user friendly and reliable.

I was a little concerned about the buttons only handheld controller being used to my old DC rotating knob controller, but I now think it is superior to the rotating knob especially when I have progrmmed in the acceleration and deceleration CV's and can control loco's without even looking at the hand set.

A friend of mine as the PA system and he prefers using my Lenz buttton controller and wishes he had gone for the Lenz system now. Its all down to individual preference.

I live in the Leeds area if you want to come and have a play you are more then welcome.

Regards Mike

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I too have gone for the Lenz system. I've found it's very easy to operate using one hand, rather like the TV remote control. There is no problem with changing speed via steps: with DCC you can set the acceleration and deccelaration for each loco individually via its decoder, so that even if you move up the steps quickly the loco will still move off at a steady, even pace.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
The LH100 is an excellent piece of kit (I use one for my garden railway) but many people prefer to use a rotary control knob to control the trains, hence the amount of people who have both the LH100 (programing) & the LH90 (running). With the PA you get the best of both.

Back up in the UK for Lenz & the GM version is excellent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
HI..

I have had both systems and prefer the LENZ 100 system. The main thing I like about the lenz is it's short circit pertection, it's quick and fast. (save my sound locos) I also like the way you can use a cordless phone system to add extra cabs at a low cost.

Stuart in OZ

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Forum Tim

The Lenz system is well constructed and the only system to offer a 10 year warranty

I use Roco MultiMAUS and Lenz LI -USB Computer Interface (mainly for programming at the moment) through the Lenz system and I find it very easy and reliable

Regards

Zmil

·
Registered
105 Posts
G`day Tim & Welcome

I have a Lenz 100 system for about three years and it has been excellent no complaints, I recently purchased a NCE Power Cab for a smaller layout and that is very good as well but I think the Lenz is the superior kit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts