Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to sell my lenz system, or should i keep it.. Iam thinking of a wireless system maybe a nce or mrc prodigy what are these systems like.I came across the mrc system i have not seen it before it seems to be well spec...

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (loz62 @ 21 Jun 2008, 15:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would like to sell my lenz system, or should i keep it.. Iam thinking of a wireless system maybe a nce or mrc prodigy what are these systems like.I came across the mrc system i have not seen it before it seems to be well spec...

***The NCE is superb - the MRC way cheaper but just "OK" in comparison.

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi loz 62,

I have the NCE procab and the prodigy, i agree with Richard the NCE is superior but more expensive ...... the only difference is with the NCE you will need a power supply for it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You mention wireless operation. You need to bear in mind that American radio systems work on a frequency that is illegal in the EU. I believe that Digitrax are working on a European version but as far as I know it has not appeared yet.

Have you considered the Lenz system using a cordless telephone? Obviously it is not quite as good as having a handset designed specially for model railways, but I have heard that it works well and you quite soon get used to it. If you have Lenz already it would be much the cheapest option.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
another one i like the look of is the digitrax super chief. how does that system compare....

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (TWG @ 21 Jun 2008, 19:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You mention wireless operation. You need to bear in mind that American radio systems work on a frequency that is illegal in the EU. I believe that Digitrax are working on a European version but as far as I know it has not appeared yet.

Have you considered the Lenz system using a cordless telephone? Obviously it is not quite as good as having a handset designed specially for model railways, but I have heard that it works well and you quite soon get used to it. If you have Lenz already it would be much the cheapest option.

*** We need to be accurate when we call things illegal. The frequency is not illegal, it is a commonly used radio band - it is simply a frequency band generally reserved for devices of a certain category above certain power levels.

It is correct that in general it is not permitted for a UK retailer or distributor (or one based anywhere these days in fact) to sell any radio based product unless it has been tested if required by legislation and approved for sale, however the frequency and power output combination of the PHP doesn't actually by default make it illegal - in fact at the exceptionally low power output of the NCE Power House Pro radio system it is marginal whether it actually even needs testing....

I should add that with the latest NCE V1.5 radio software the low power does NOT limit the layout operating range, which is exceptionally good.

A consumer may import and use it with no problem, as the regulation which is created in order to protect consumers in that case changes context and it simply makes it unacceptable to cause interference with any other device.

There is no known example of an NCE PowerHouse Pro doing so as given its tight frequency regulation and low power, it conflicts with absolutely nothing.

Australia uses almost identical regulation to Europe in this area and having recently worked with the approval for radio equipped DCC and in a previous occupation done the same for hundreds of consumer electronic products that were far more complex to test than a DCC system I can say with confidence that the NCE will not give you any problems.

You ask about the Digitrax radio system.

Its good but NCE is actually a better product to use and is the ONLY DCC system that offers full 2 way radio communication and can do everything else wireless - digitrax, MRC, Lenz XPA and all others are effectively one way radio, so cannot do everything via "wireless".

regards

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it looks like i will be getting the nce system, next question is purchase do i buy local or os the us dollar is strong against ours. the temptation is hard to refuse the price difference between here australia and the us. its a good saving to buy in the usa. problem is warranty etc....

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (loz62 @ 22 Jun 2008, 05:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>it looks like i will be getting the nce system, next question is purchase do i buy local or os the us dollar is strong against ours. the temptation is hard to refuse the price difference between here australia and the us. its a good saving to buy in the usa. problem is warranty etc....
My advice, as always is to buy locally where you can - you are lucky in Australia by having one of the best knowledgeable guys for back up & advice - Richard.

·
Registered
116 Posts
QUOTE *** We need to be accurate when we call things illegal. The frequency is not illegal, it is a commonly used radio band - it is simply a frequency band generally reserved for devices of a certain category above certain power levels.

It is correct that in general it is not permitted for a UK retailer or distributor (or one based anywhere these days in fact) to sell any radio based product unless it has been tested if required by legislation and approved for sale, however the frequency and power output combination of the PHP doesn't actually by default make it illegal - in fact at the exceptionally low power output of the NCE Power House Pro radio system it is marginal whether it actually even needs testing....

I should add that with the latest NCE V1.5 radio software the low power does NOT limit the layout operating range, which is exceptionally good.

A consumer may import and use it with no problem, as the regulation which is created in order to protect consumers in that case changes context and it simply makes it unacceptable to cause interference with any other device.

I stand corrected. Richard Johnson, who obviously knows a lot more than I about this (which is not difficult) is right about the loose use of the word illegal. I should have said that the American frequency is not approved for running model railways in the EU. It turns out that the original post came from Australia anyway, which I had not realised.

I still prefer to use a radio frequency which is locally approved for the purpose. Perhaps Brian Considine would expand on his opinion that there are good reasons for not using the American frequency. My impression as a person of limited knowledge is that occasionally funny things can happen with radio transmissions, even if the power output of the transmitter is low.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I'll try without getting too technical (& this is my understanding - I may be wrong & if so will gladly stand corrected)) - these are the basic reasons in my head & memory is not too good - maybe Richard or someone can explain it better

Frequencies are allocated with separation - this separation varies throughout the world - for example 10kHz in one part & 12.5kHz in another.

The other problem is harmonics - say a transmitter operated on exactly 50mHz it would also transmit a tiny amount on 100mHz (1st harmonic) & an even tinier amount on (& this is where the memory fades) 150mHz or 200mHz (3rd harmonic) - I cannot remember which way. (note - the frequencies are usually something like 50.****mHz rather than exactly)

So, equipment designed for one part of the world may cause conflicts when used in other parts. The frequencies I have quoted are not accurate & hopefully will serve for explaining.

There, I've probably confused the issue even more & made a complete hash of it but I did give it ago - over to someone else ?

·
Administrator
9,859 Posts
QUOTE it is simply a frequency band generally reserved for devices of a certain category above certain power levels.

This afternoon we discovered the wireless transmitter in bicycle speedometer wheel rate detector was only capable of transmitting 14". I mention it because the transmitter has an FCC ID stamped on it. Looks like it's time for a new battery, and one for the receiver too no doubt.

David

·
Registered
193 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 21 Jun 2008, 14:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You ask about the Digitrax radio system.

Its good but NCE is actually a better product to use and is the ONLY DCC system that offers full 2 way radio communication and can do everything else wireless - digitrax, MRC, Lenz XPA and all others are effectively one way radio, so cannot do everything via "wireless".

regards

Richard
DCCconcepts

Dear Richard,

The Zimo wireless cab (MX31FU) has all the fucntionality of the wired version (MX31). They even share the same user manual. By the way, FU is short for Funk, which is Radio in German.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (John @ 27 Jun 2008, 01:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dear Richard,

The Zimo wireless cab (MX31FU) has all the fucntionality of the wired version (MX31). They even share the same user manual. By the way, FU is short for Funk, which is Radio in German.

*** Thanks for that info John - So now there are two truly bidirectional radio systems - thats excellent! BTW all the other brands also try to claim the full benefits of being wireless / radio, but conveniently fail to mention that plugging in is needed for programming etc....

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi

I have the NCE and I believe a very important point that has being over looked is, you can operate the controller with 1 hand insuring other hand is free for cup of tea! Only NCE operators will know what I mean!

NCE great system, not sure where you live but if it is Australia see Richard.

m

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.