Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For anyone considering using these units for train detection, I thought I would show you the simplest way to do it as I think there is some confusion on this subject.
I originally had 5 of these units on my layout giving me 1-80 feedback inputs (or 1:1 to 10:8 in Train Controller Gold) This may be different in other software but the programming is the same for Z21 using the Z21 Maintenance Tool.
As said I had 5 of these units installed and working, but due to my recent extension of the layout I wanted to add an additional 3 units, not necessarily for the amount of feedbacks, but to spread them over the layout to make wiring simpler.
My problem was that I couldn't remember how I programmed the original 5 :(
Turning to the internet, I found a few conflicting videos, all agreeing that the instruction manual was confusing and wrong, but showing different methods.
I decided on a method using the Z21 app and switching outputs as it seemed the simplest, but swiftly ruined a unit in trying. This may have been because I had all 3 new units connected to the R-Bus and track wiring, I don't know, but in any case I lost a new unit. So with a bit of trial and error, I have found a quick and simple way that worked every time for me, and hope it helps others with the same dilemma.
Firstly , for anyone who doesn't know, the digikeijs units have 16 feedback inputs each and are equivalent to 2 X Roco 10787 or Z21 detector 10808. (I think there is a new Z21 Detector with 16 inputs nowadays) This means that each module has 2 addresses (one for each of the 8 feedback connections). Therefore the first unit will be addresses 1 and 2, second unit would be 3 and 4 and so on. What some of the videos/ manuals don't explain is that because of R-bus protocol, you must have preceding programmed units connected in line in order to program the next module, for example, 1st unit comes factory programmed as 1 and 2, so next unit connected stars at address 3, then 5 then 7 ect.
For this demo, we will be programming the second unit at address 3
So, have the DR 4088RB modules connected to the Z21 up to the module you want to program, the green led will flash and after a couple of seconds, the amber led will light up.
As stated above, do not connect any more units past the one you are programming or connect it to the track power at this point, then proceed as below.
1: Load up the maintenance tool and click on the R-bus tab .
2: Enter the module starting address in the lower left screen area (in this case 3) and click on the "Assign" tab.
3: A new window appears saying "Disconnect the feedback device" DO NOT DISSCONNECT OR CLICK OK AT THIS POINT
4: Now press the program button on the lower left of the DR4088RB, the green led flashes at a different rate.
5: Now click "OK" on the tab saying "Disconnect the feedback device" .
6: Click "OK" on the next couple of tabs that appear until the end of the procedure, the green led will now flash at its original rate.
That's it, job done, no need to enter anything else, as some instructions state, the module is now programmed to addresses 3 and 4 automatically.
Once programmed you can connect to the track power using connections C and C linked together.
If required, add another unit to the R-Bus daisy chain, continue as above using 5 as the address number, the unit will be programmed to addresses 5 and 6 and so on.
I hope this will be of help to someone
Regards
Alan

1 - 1 of 1 Posts