Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a project update

Just a few pictures

Please let me know what you think and ask me what you want?

Pete

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
It looks promising. I don't think I will ever think that the class 66 is good looking, at least not head on as in one of the shots you've taken.

I do have one question - I presume those are Peco inspection pits and you have to cut into the baseboard to fit them?

Second question (nobody expects....)

Do you need frog switching for the three way point? I ask because the Code 75 version is asymmetric and live frog and must have frog switching.

It certainly looks easier to build a diesel refuelling point than a whacking great big three storey 300 ton coal storage tower (I found a photo of the Holbeck coaling tower on the web last night).

It will be interesting to see how your layout develops.

David
(still wiring up the control panel - about one third left to go)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the pits have been sunk into the base board, as for the 3 way point I haven't been told anything special about the wiring.

I have to fix the track down this will be done by painting the cork with pva and then placing the track on it (while wet) and then ballasting it but before that I will get to the same level on the second base board.

Pete

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>as for the 3 way point I haven't been told anything special about the wiring.
If you've not been told, then there's nothing to do. The symmetry probably avoids the need.

I've just been watching "A wash and brush up" on volume 4 of the BFI transport film series. It takes you through the "X" examination for a BR Standard class 5 locomotive. It's not hard to see why diesels supplanted steam. Still it gives me an excuse to have twice as many steam locomotives than I could justify if I was modelling diesel - after all, half of them are in maintenance

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts