Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Chief cook & bottle washer
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for some grease compatible with the plastics we have on our loco's gears. I saw on a forum that 'Finish Line' bicycle grease was a really good choice, but at eye watering prices. The same goes for LaBelle. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good quality, preferably Teflon grease? My Hobby-lube tube has split and ended up with dust in the grease.

·
In depth idiot
7,684 Posts
Afraid it is the old story, the small quantity packaging and distribution for 'hobby' purchasers grossly inflates the price.

Have you checked out aeromodeller and drone hobby suppliers? I don't have a brand name, but understand a very slippy plastics compatible grease has been widely adopted; always a chance that stronger demand in that sector might hold prices down a little. Share anything you learn please, see below!

QUOTE (hoonsou @ 29 Apr 2021, 05:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...My Hobby-lube tube has split and ended up with dust in the grease.
So it's happening all over the world then. I bought a Hobbylube pack of seven (ultra light, light, gluey gear, oils; Moly grease, PTFE grease, graphite and PTFE powders) must be 20 years ago, and two of the tubes fractured early this year wehn I picked them up to use them. What's left of the contents all now transferred to glass sample tubes, but dispensing is not so convenient. (I do feel I got my money's worth, as all have been used in many different applications beyond model railway, and some were nearing 'all gone'. News of alternatives thus welcome.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I remove surplus grease from various locos (mainly bachmann) and store it in a small container.
There is enough there to last a very long time.

·
In depth idiot
7,684 Posts
QUOTE (Darra @ 29 Apr 2021, 12:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I remove surplus grease from various locos (mainly bachmann) and store it in a small container...
Me too, but all used up now! Those old split chassis locos especially were a 'grease mine'.

My most recent Bachmann purchases (J11, Ivatt atlantic, Craven's DMU's) have all been skilfully lubed, small dots of a clear pink grease in the necessary locations, none of the excessive quantity leaking into the packaging and onto the model paintwork of yore...

·
Chief cook &amp; bottle washer
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm still trawling the net, but no luck so far. I've salvaged some of the remaining grease from the split tube (yes 34C, all over the world) so I have a small amount to be getting on with, but can't find anything suitable in Oz. I haven't had a chance to get to the local bike shop yet, but I expect it'll be the same story with the price.

·
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Graham. I don't like vaseline for our models, but each to their own.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I needed some silicon grease recently and found it in 1/4 oz tubs at a scuba diving shop. It wasn't cheap, but seems to be inert and safe around paint.
andrew

·
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Andrew. Even though we live on an island, there are no diving shops here.

·
C55
2,458 Posts
You might try Googling for HUDY Graphite Grease. I have used it and it is very good and I have used it on gears. I have read one comment that the graphite, being solid, may work into the plastic on gears and act as a grinding agent. No evidence was offered and the point of graphite is that it beds on the gears and slips graphite on graphite. My personal jury is out on that one, until something scientific appears.

This also might fit the bill https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/greases/1847967/

This is available off Amazon and I guess other places. Silverhook SGPGT90, Silicone Grease Tube.

LA BELLE Labelle 106 grease with PTFE, also on Amazon and comes in a small tube. at around £10 UK. I expect it's available elsewhere, too.

Julian

·
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Julian. All the searches I did none came up with the superlube in Australia, but when I followed your link, there it was. I'll include a screen shot just to show the difference in postage.
Rectangle Font Operating system Screenshot Parallel

Attachments

·
C55
2,458 Posts
QUOTE (hoonsou @ 3 May 2021, 22:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Julian. All the searches I did none came up with the superlube in Australia, but when I followed your link, there it was. I'll include a screen shot just to show the difference in postage.
View attachment 7253
Unbelievable postage, $A 2.20 more expensive, then $A 80.33 for postage!! I'm glad you've found what you wanted, I did notice, on some other sites, they were charging massive prices for various brands of PTFE, strange.

Julian

·
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Supply and demand I suppose. Never let a chance go by if you can rip someone off. I also wonder why that didn't come up with my searches. Never mind. Thanks for the pointer.

·
Deo confido, ne unum crede
288 Posts
Late to the party here. Only logged on and saw the OP's post.

If you haven't purchased yet, this is what you want. Reel Lube Plus. Specifically marketed to lubricate fishing reels. Reasonable price (AUD$9.99), proportionate volume (20g) in a sensible package for model railway use, & importantly easily obtainable. Anaconda and all over eBay AU. BCF used to stock it but don't any more, having replaced it with an oil version. Fishing reels today e.g. Shimano, are made of plastic with nylon gears with a few moving metal parts, i.e. bearings, and subjected to harsher use and environments than our models. This is safe for plastic & nylon, perfect for lubricating nylon & metal gears, perfect for our use. I've been using it for a decade for model rail, slot car and fishing reels even though I have access to Finish Line Teflon line in both tube and bulk form off the shelf here as I'm an avid cyclist and use it in regular maintenance.

·
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks but I've bought it. I didn't get a call back from the bike shop about the Finish Line stuff, so bought the Super Lube. I now have enough to last me for the rest of my life.

·
Deo confido, ne unum crede
288 Posts
Good news that you've found an amenable solution. Too late for you unfortunately, the preceding info might assist someone else in AU in future. Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts