Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started to collect a rake of Bachmann and Hornby Pullmans to represent the sort of mixed set that ran on the ECML in about 1961. The Bachmann ones have a pale coloured roof that may be right for a brand new carriage, but none of the photos in my reference books show anything but the usual dirty grey. I am considering a respray job.

I have kit built a number of carriages in the past, and realise that the roofs need to be sprayed to get a reasonable finish but in this case it is part of the bodyshell and cannot be separated from the sides. Has anybody had any success with respraying the modern Bachmann Mk1 product and if so, how did you mask the finely detailed paintwork on the sides?

Colombo

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>how did you mask the finely detailed paintwork on the sides?

I have an alternative suggestion. Treat yourself to some Precision Label Pullman sides with authentic east coast train carriage markings. If they have got their research right then these will raise the Pullmans to a level I believe you would be happy with. Going down this route reduces the risk from masking tape or whatever so long as you spray the roofs first.

I haven't tried any this companies products, but I have bookmarked them for the time when I want to introduce "The Yorkshire Pullman" to my layout. So far I have two of the Hornby lit coaches....

David

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DWB,

Many thanks for that link. I can see that I shall have many happy hours making up an authentic Pullman set. All the problems with lining and matching colours should be resolved with the precision labels.

I do not fully understand why both Hornby and Bachmann initially produced Pullmans with white roofs instead of the more normal in service grey, although the latest manifestation of Hornby smooth sided K type Pullman cars do have grey roofs.

Colombo

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>I shall have many happy hours making up an authentic Pullman set.
Good luck!

David

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm having the exact same problem.

I've resprayed the roofs on 7 bachmann pullmans to what humbrol have described as charchol.

I let the direction of the air brush cortol the amount of paint that went on to the pipes in the bachmann coaches. It now looks lightly weathered.

I'm usin g Hornby 1928 brakes not the later super detailed 1925 vehicles with lights. The 1928 vehicles need to be carefully sprayed - Rail match GWR chocolate will match the bachmann umber exactly. The masking is fairly complex.

The cream are close enough for me not to bother- this does vary depending on when the hornby coach was made, and my precision labels are on order.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DavidW,

I have bought some Tamya low tack masking tape, which I am assured should not pull off the Bachmann paint job. I hope to have dark grey roofs by the end of the week.

Unfortunately, my Hornby Brake with lights, R4166A, carries a peculiar cream colour stripe with a hint of lime green. To match the Bachmanns exactly this implies a complete respray in cream with Precision Labels for all the umber parts. I am not committed to that procedure at present and so it will have to wait until I feel sufficiently motivated.

Having inadvertently purchased "The Hadrian Bar", I now find myself committed to modelling the Tyne Tees Pullman as that vehicle was unique and dedicated to that route. No problem: it ran through York. Precision Labels do a set of transfers for the Mk1 Pullmans in the Tyne Tees rake. I have fitted Kadees and they run very well together. The Bachmanns need no.20s and the Hornby got no.19s.

Before I build up to a full rake, I shall have to lay some more sidings in the fiddle yard, as I am up to capacity at present.

Colombo

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had no problem when masking the bachmann or hornby coaches. And I used electricians tape. I can't speak of the new 1925 hornby cars. But I do have a rake of 8. I thought of selling them as my layout is somewhere in the south of the ECML in the 1960 - 63 period, and getting a couple of mk1 rakes, with 1928 brakes. I'll be modelling the Tyne Tees, and the Queen of Scots, possibly the yorkshire pullman too!

I seem to remember seeing photos of your York based layout - very cool! Mines mor countrified

I've not done it yet but I've got a "St Gatien" awaiting double chimney and straight reversing lever. With 247 plates for "Columbo". I haven't made my mind up on whether it'll carry deflectors yet. I 've six A3's- incredible looking machines, I assume that your ID references the A3 "Columbo".

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
David,

I confirm that my ID does reference 60036 Colombo. My avatar photo is of that locomotive standing in Platform 1, currently the most photogenic position on the layout, although I have high hopes for another location soon. I am working on a fully internally detailed 3 road straight engine shed and I am hoping that will produce some interesting shots.

Unfortunately my Colombo lacks the coal rail tender fitted to this denizen of Neville Hill. In fact it is really Windsor Lad, I have photo edited the final 5 to a 6. You can see a larger version on the LNER forum.

Good luck with your intention to model most of the East Coast Pullmans.

Colombo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts