Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John Webb has posted this information in another part of the forum which may be useful for collectors:-

QUOTE There is a firm 'South Pole Magnets' based in Bradford on Avon in Wiltshire, that advertises replacement magnets for Hornby Dublo, Triang and Wrenn in recent issues of 'Railway Modeller'. Tel: 0845 8386803
www.southpolemagnets.com is their website. They use modern magnetic materials and claim to restore performance without the need to remagnetise. I haven't tried out their goods, but it sounds good in theory.

It is relatively easy to replace the magnets in old locomotives as the motors are bolted together and easily taken apart and reasembled.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dear all,

I am in the progress of evaluating these magnets from Richard at SouthPole Magnets.Findings so far,had to fettle the motor and magnet on an X.04 to get the magnet to fit,their magnetism is unbelieveable,The motor,though not new has been fitted to an old Class 08 shunter at the moment,the old magnet after removal was found to be extreemly weak!Well the new magnet has certainly improved slow running and overal performance and the 08 is alot smoother running than was,also the motor apears to run cooler.I have not tested the motor amperage yet verusus a normal magnet.I also have the replacement magnet for the Triang power bogie as fitted to DMU and the Dock Shunter,keep you all posted,Stew.

·
Administrator
9,891 Posts
Good stuff! I am all eyes!

David

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dear all,

I have fitted the new neo magnets to Three Triang dock shunters,no good news to report though.

Due to the strength of the magnets they tend to try and lift the armature up towards themselves,this causes the spherical bearings at either end of the armature to run hot and squeal!!Even packing them with grease does somewhat lessen the noise but also noted was a drop in performance of the motor and the excessive noise.low end starting is good but as they get faster the bearing get hotter and louder.Two have now had their original magnets refitted and are back to how they should be,quiet and quick.

The third Dock shunter chassis is a bit of a hybrid built from parts,the bearings in this particular chassis are very snug and a normal strength magnet will not run it,the neo magnet works well in this application,the fault with the excess noise and slower running on the other two may be due to the fact that there may be some wear in the bearings after 30 odd years of use!!

I will order some new spherical bearings from Modelspares and a new armature and fit these to another chassis I have here and see if the problem reoccurs with new bearings,

BRAND NEW X.04 with new neo magnet up for test and evaluation next.

So my advice would be,if you are going to fit neo magnets to a power bogie,replace the spherical bearings as a matter of course as they are only pence and lubricate well on assembly and ensure lubricating felts are fitted,this should improve matters somewhat,but it does appear to me that the main fault is the magnets are way too strong for this app.

Keep you posted,Stewart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.