Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

After seeing the QSI sound decoders and programmer for the pc interface http://www.qsisolutions.com/ how difficult is it to use the decoders and interface with a laptop and my control, also is there any equivilant availible for N scale ?

·
Registered
825 Posts
QUOTE (upnick @ 28 Oct 2008, 10:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi All,

After seeing the QSI sound decoders and programmer for the pc interface http://www.qsisolutions.com/ how difficult is it to use the decoders and interface with a laptop and my control, also is there any equivilant availible for N scale ?
If you just want to program the CVs then QSI are supported by JMRI/DecoderPro and <plug>SPROG II</plug>, just like any other decoder. Other command stations should also be able to program them but may need a programming booster or current limit resistor.

The only reason to buy proprietary hardware from any sound decoder manufacturer is if it allows you to edit or load new sounds. In that case, choose carefully, since such hardware is not compatible across decoder brands.

Andrew Crosland
http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi Nick

When I saw the adds for the QSI I thought they sounded like a good Idea
But since I model European there would be no advantage to me
but for you I think they could be OK . Difficult to put in a N scale though

I was very Impressed with the Loksound , especially the motor control. I think you could squeeze in to an N scale Large locomotive , but the decoder is about 2.5mm thick in some places and quite long
But unless I was going to do lots of installations I could not justify buying the Loksound Programmer
Besides there is a friendly chap with an office in Navel Base in the far southern suburbs , who could tweek it for me

Regards Zmil

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (zmil @ 28 Oct 2008, 11:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Nick

When I saw the adds for the QSI I thought they sounded like a good Idea
But since I model European there would be no advantage to me
but for you I think they could be OK . Difficult to put in a N scale though

I was very Impressed with the Loksound , especially the motor control. I think you could squeeze in to an N scale Large locomotive , but the decoder is about 2.5mm thick in some places and quite long
But unless I was going to do lots of installations I could not justify buying the Loksound Programmer
Besides there is a friendly chap with an office in Navel Base in the far southern suburbs , who could tweek it for me

Regards Zmil

Oh yes where is that chap

After looking at the QSI sound deeper i'm not sure if it would be worth the cost ...... probably the systems would fit well in a big 40AX in n gauge though

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (zmil @ 28 Oct 2008, 20:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>He Could be sorting through the Entries in the "Design the test Layout " Competition

Regards Zmil

*** "That chap" has his only day off Tuesday!

Nick, forget it. The QSI is far too big to consider for N scale - it is the largest in size of the sound decoder brands. It has OK performance but is not as easy to work with as LokSound or Tsunami.

The manuals will drive you insane - their 200+ page PDF file for the sound decoder has a wonderful problem - all pages are marked page 14 in the index, so searching it becomes a nightmare!

For N the only really practical options are the Micro LokSOund or the Micro Tsunami in that order.

Richard

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 28 Oct 2008, 13:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>*** "That chap" has his only day off Tuesday!

Nick, forget it. The QSI is far too big to consider for N scale - it is the largest in size of the sound decoder brands. It has OK performance but is not as easy to work with as LokSound or Tsunami.

The manuals will drive you insane - their 200+ page PDF file for the sound decoder has a wonderful problem - all pages are marked page 14 in the index, so searching it becomes a nightmare!

For N the only really practical options are the Micro LokSOund or the Micro Tsunami in that order.

Richard

Grrr
who suggested N gauge to me .... seriously though your right Richard the QSI isnt an option for me leave it to you guys in OO.
I am looking at a small OO layout with sound in the distant future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts