Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Queen has opened the new renovated St Pancras Railway Station. It looks very nice.

The Queen has opened a transformed St Pancras station and new Channel Tunnel rail terminal for Eurostar.
Her Majesty said the £800m St Pancras International was "magnificent", and hoped people would consider it as not just a station but as "a destination".

Developers have called it the jewel in the crown of a £5.8bn project to bring high speed rail to the UK.

St Pancras will house high-speed services to Kent, Midland Mainline, Thameslink and six Tube lines.

The BBC has covered this story with some pictures

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Thanks for the link Neil - it certainly looks like a superb restoration. And to think it was nearly demolished !

Pity the media keep calling the new trains "bullits" though.

One of the best features of the new station is apparently two it lacks - no Burgadonalds !

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 7 Nov 2007, 09:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One of the best features of the new station is apparently two it lacks - no Burgadonalds !

Personally I thought it rather appropriate that they have included a statue of the late, great, Sir John Betjeman, without him we wouldn't have the station at all!

Regards

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I'd have rather had Sir John's statue 9m high and centre-stage than the one of two people meeting! Nice to see all the positive publicity for railways. Also interesting was the suggestion of the reduction in times to UK destinations if trains could be run at the same speed as the Eurostars.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 7 Nov 2007, 13:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd have rather had Sir John's statue 9m high and centre-stage than the one of two people meeting!

HERE HERE!

Regards

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think the consortium have done a fantastic job on St Pancras International, it certainly sets it apart from all the other London termini.

Regards,

Dan

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE I think the consortium have done a fantastic job on St Pancras International, it certainly sets it apart from all the other London termini.

It's amazing what you can do with £800m

I wonder what Reading will be like once it's had £560m spent on it?

David

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 7 Nov 2007, 20:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wonder what Reading will be like once it's had £560m spent on it?

Still in Reading.......

QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 7 Nov 2007, 21:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think it's great that they have rennovated St Pancras. It has to be one of the best buildings in London. So who's going to make a kit for it then?

Now that I would like to see.

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 7 Nov 2007, 21:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think it's great that they have rennovated St Pancras. It has to be one of the best buildings in London. So who's going to make a kit for it then?

If SP was in Germany then Trix may have a go ?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Or possibly Faller - although I think Im right in saying that most of the Trix building kits are made of card.

Regards

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 9 Nov 2007, 03:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Or possibly Faller - although I think Im right in saying that most of the Trix building kits are made of card.

Regards
Only as of this year. Previously they were plastic. They did the model of Hamburg Dammptor Station which was a four track station. Probably the biggest station kit going.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is an excellent, in-depth souvenir supplement on the new St. Pancras and High Speed 1, in this month's copy of "Modern Railways".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts