Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Bog Snorkeller
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe It's been almost a year since I did anything about my layout but during this time I must confess I've been reading other forums and getting really down heartened in the process. One particular layout 'Eastwood Town' by Gordon S really broke the camels back and I ended very despondent followed by a bout of ripping up my scenic board. Gordon's layout is a fine example of sweeping curves, and beautiful complicated pointwork, all handmade and I became envious beyond belief. Following a period of inactivity I managed to come out the other side, bit the bullet and decided I'd have a go - nothing as ambitious as Gordon's but it would all be handmade, by me.

I've never in all my years built trackwork so I've been doing lots and lots of reading and, having ripped up the scenic section of my layout, with considerable encouragement from other people, I've now decided to take the plunge into designing and building a new section including hand-built trackwork. As my off scene fiddle yard area (which I'm quite happy with) is made up of Tillig & Peco 00 code 83, I've opted to go 00-SF code 75 bullhead rail soldered on copper clad 1.06mm sleepers for the new scenic section. I will obviously have to create/manufacture connecting pieces for the transition from code 83 to 75.

The section to be rebuilt is 10' x 6' 6" max, and this diagram was of course drawn with the invaluable help of TEMPLOT.

Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern

The concept is a single line branch junction, steam with a few diesels using 3 to 4 coach trains. Due to cutbacks, part of the line is now disused and the station forms a terminus with run round facility. The other main line is predominantly freight with the occasional through passenger (actually a continuous run). When the line was fully operational, being about half way along the branch, it provided limited loco facilities for engine changes; emergency servicing etc - which still survive. I may also have a high level line across the back of the scenic section to incorporate a shuttle system from my old layout.

The only fixed items on the layout at the moment are the two entrances onto the scenic board, plus the fiddle yard storage boards. The spur at the main platform road goes through the back scene for about 8" allowing tender engines room to clear the run round point, and could be moved further to the right to allow longer trains into the platform. Power is DCC (NCE Powerhouse pro 5amp), switchable to DC for running in etc.

For my first stab at track building my intention is to start with a B-6 turnout on the disused main line spur at the end of the platform.

Is this a suitable place to start?

Any/all comments welcome on my efforts so far. Am I heading in the right direction? and of course I'll also keep this thread updated with my track building progress.

Mike

ps. For starters, I've ordered a full set of 00-SF gauges from Brian Tulley and a small quantity of nickel silver 75 bullhead rail and copper clad sleepers from C&L.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
Evening Mike, Welcome back to the modelling forum.

Will be following, to see how you do as I may try to hand build my scissors crossing, but not soon, wish you well..........

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Hi Mike,
that is something I will be watching with keen interest, as I want to build some crossovers for my layout,

one thought, BR seemed to use several dissused lines for storage of withdrawn goods stock, so maybe you can add something like that on the dissused main line?

looking forward to seeing your first efforts!

Sean

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi Mike,

Well you have made a really tough decision, now the challenge & enjoyment lie in front of you, no doubt in different amounts as things progress - I cannot wait to follow your progress.

All the very best, & please post your step by step "learning" in this new & brave world - both good & ......

Cheers,

Norm

·
Why is'nt it easy !!
2,155 Posts
Oh this is hard core Mike ... building everything things I can only dream of as I have nowhere near enough patience to make track
im really looking forward to seeing this develop ...

·
Administrator
9,855 Posts
You're a braver man than me! I really have a thing for sweeping track work and it's very hard to get that without hand building but if I went down that road I'd get even less done than I do now.

I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

David

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Hi Mike

You won't look back. You made some good early decisions using Templot and OO-SF so RTR will work without back to back issues and the hardest step now is just starting the points. Take it one step at a time and you will be amazed how easy it really is, and how fast it comes together. Its pretty addictive too... seeing the nice flowing look start to develop will feed the enthusiasm.

If you have any questions, just ask... If I can help, I will. Enjoy the process!!!

Regards

Richard

·
Bog Snorkeller
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your interest, encouragement and suggestions. As I said in my OP I've been on several other sites to test the water and in fact posted on two just to gauge reactions to my plans. Overall result was pretty much zilch - just one comment generated, and I ended up feeling very much not wanted and an outsider. MRF has to be the friendliest most helpful model railway forum of them all, so well done and thanks to you all for your contributions towards helping others.

QUOTE (sean hpw @ 5 Feb 2013, 18:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>one thought, BR seemed to use several dissused lines for storage of withdrawn goods stock, so maybe you can add something like that on the dissused main line?
Might prove difficult Sean with only 8" of track going through the backscene. I'll still be using the station and I don't want to overcrowd everything.

QUOTE (Norman Byrne @ 5 Feb 2013, 20:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well you have made a really tough decision, now the challenge & enjoyment lie in front of you, no doubt in different amounts as things progress - I cannot wait to follow your progress.
All the very best, & please post your step by step "learning" in this new & brave world - both good &.....
I'll try my best Norm

QUOTE (dwb @ 5 Feb 2013, 20:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You're a braver man than me! I really have a thing for sweeping track work and it's very hard to get that without hand building
"Been there, done that" is what I want to be able to say David. You never know 'til you try and I must admit to going into all this malarky with a certain amount of trepidation, so we'll wait to see what the outcome is.

QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 6 Feb 2013, 06:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You won't look back. You made some good early decisions using Templot and OO-SF so RTR will work without back to back issues and the hardest step now is just starting the points. Take it one step at a time and you will be amazed how easy it really is, and how fast it comes together. Its pretty addictive too... seeing the nice flowing look start to develop will feed the enthusiasm.

If you have any questions, just ask... If I can help, I will. Enjoy the process!!!
Thanks Richard, much appreciated offer from one so wise!

As I have no materials yet to start building, reading and planning is just about all I can do at the moment but the time is being well spent. TEMPLOT and the Templot club have proved invaluable in my quest - I can't speak highly enough of the program and of Martin Wynne its owner/promoter who has been very, very helpful. Templot is a very high learning curve bit of kit and different from the norm, but I'm getting there - slowly.

The choice of 00-SF was really the only way to go judging by various articles and threads I've been reading, as it removes so many problems. The accomodation of most RTR back to backs was the main reason as this forms the majority of my stock - Although I'd heard it said, I never realised just how crude Peco pointwork looked until I saw a side by side comparison with a handbuilt point, which fired my enthusiasm even more.

I've also learned there are an infinite variety of constructional methods and build processes in making handbuilt pointwork; so many ways of creating 'V' crossings; different track gauging; flaring; joggling; differences between A, B, C & D points; switch diamonds, etc, etc, etc. A proper minefield, but I've invested some hard earned money in a full set of Brian Tulley brass gauges to ensure I get it done as accurately as possible, just hope my soldering skills are up to scratch.

Yes there are many problems laying in wait for me to overcome but, having made the decision, my eagerness to get involved again with a fresh modelling challenge is beginning to overwhelm, so thanks to everyone again, I just hope I don't disappoint.

WATCH THIS SPACE (Come on Mr Postman!!!)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I see, Maybe one day eh

I really do look forward to seeing how this comes together, also I am sorely sorely tempted to join the 'track building' club myself, I look forward to seeing how you get along, and cam you point me in the direction of any good sorces of information on the subject of track building, I will lokely go for OO-sf if i go down that pathway, and with my own layout trackless at the moment I cannot think of a better time to try it out!

Sorry if im hijacking the thread! I honestly don't mean to!

Sean

·
Bog Snorkeller
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Sean, not a problem...

One source is another forum with very similar initials to our own - well the same really, just in a different order. Some really good stuiff to read and plenty of tips, however, don't expect them to be exited about you being there - they won't be.

By far the best source though is Templot... It's free to download and they have their own forum called 'Templot Club' where they talk about nothing but track building, they're extremely friendly and helpful. Templot itself is a very steep learning curve but if you stick with it you'll soon get to grips with its different way of making tracks - it amazed me as to how much you can do with a simple turnout - stretch it; shrink it; curve it more; curve it less with plenty of different sizes to go at, make crossings and slips to your hearts content, track gauges by the handful. Have a go with it and you'll see what I mean.

Templot

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I do use templot already even though I havent got to the levels yu have with the track plan!
I am also a member of the other forum (I hope it is the same one we are both thinking of!) and although there are some people willing to talk, but I think it is a case of them accepting you!

the Colliery i am building can be made to flow alot more realisticly with hand built track, if i get the gist of OO-sf, i may will have a go at the OO9 sections as well! I may well look at the Templot club Mike, Thanks for the Help mate!

Sean

·
Administrator
9,855 Posts
QUOTE The choice of 00-SF was really the only way to go judging by various articles and threads I've been reading, as it removes so many problems. The accomodation of most RTR back to backs was the main reason as this forms the majority of my stock
I came to a similar conclusion the last time I researched this.

QUOTE - Although I'd heard it said, I never realised just how crude Peco pointwork looked until I saw a side by side comparison with a handbuilt point, which fired my enthusiasm even more.
I think that's why there's such an audible clickety clack as my stock rolls through
I find the appearance of the switch rails particularly unpleasant.

David

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Hi Mike I to have considered building track but i would opt for the C&L sleeper and chair method for points and their flexitrack for the rest. Having looked at some layouts in the rail mags the copperclad dosn,t look quite right without the chairs but the flowing trackwork does look better than the rtr trackwork.I bought a right track dvd Laying Terrific Trackwork with Norman Soloman which i thought was very imformative. As yet i have not layed any track and because i was unsure wether my stock would run on it ok i stayed with Peco. Having said that i will have ago in the future. I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress i for one will follow with interest. Jim good luck!

·
Registered
464 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 6 Feb 2013, 06:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Hi Mike

You won't look back. You made some good early decisions using Templot and OO-SF so RTR will work without back to back issues and the hardest step now is just starting the points. Take it one step at a time and you will be amazed how easy it really is, and how fast it comes together. Its pretty addictive too... seeing the nice flowing look start to develop will feed the enthusiasm.

Regards

Richard

Hi Mike,
How long did it take you to get your head around Templot? I keep looking but havent managed to work out how to use it......... What or where was the answer?

I do like the look of what you have planned

Kind regards

Ian

·
Bog Snorkeller
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (PAPPA.B @ 6 Feb 2013, 21:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I to have considered building track but I would opt for the C&L sleeper and chair method for points and their flexitrack for the rest.
Hi Jim... My forte has never been fiddling with little bits of plastic and glue, I feel I'm better off with good old solder and, not being a disciple of everything being 100% realistic, the copper clad gives me a satisfactory method that I trust. Hopefully it will give me the sweeping trackwork I'm looking for.

QUOTE (11B @ 6 Feb 2013, 21:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How long did it take you to get your head around Templot?
Hi Ian. Don't know that I have truly got my head round it yet, I just picked out the bits I wanted to learn to enable me to get where I am at the moment. For instance Martin Wynne suggested (in a nice way) that some of my points were too much RTR model railway size - so I put longer ones in made a few amendments and now it really flows much better. To give you an idea of this, my smallest point now is 301.95mm long (11.888 inches) and has a turnout road centre line radius of 1259.29mm radius (49.578 inches).
The what and where is really by asking on the Templot Club Forum - have a look in the Baffled Beginners threads. I found the opening page a bit baffling to start with but, using the -(minus) button, zoom out and it gives you a wider view of the drawing board where you can create and develop your ideas - I did say it was different but, if you don't try, you'll never get your ideas down on paper...

So to get where I am at present has taken me about a fortnight overall - not bad I think for a 69 year old silver surfer.

Thanks for your interest in my exploits...

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** make time to do the video tutorials - it doesn't matter which version they are based on because no primary things change between versions. to give you a "to hand" reference, print out the shortcut pages etc.

The videos were the real key for me, and once the F Key shortcuts bedded in, it became a " quick study" to get tor grips with it from then on

regards

Richard

QUOTE (11B @ 7 Feb 2013, 05:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Mike,
How long did it take you to get your head around Templot? I keep looking but havent managed to work out how to use it......... What or where was the answer?

I do like the look of what you have planned

Kind regards

Ian

·
Bog Snorkeller
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update - 14/02/2013

Got most of my tools together now to make a start - most of them new ones including a new vice (don't tell SWMBO), track components from C+L have arrived, but I do have a slight problem with my gauges - for some reason I've got 6 check rail gauges and no roller gauges, I'm sure Brian will soon get that sorted for me, then I'm ready. Have also printed off my first control template and am currently doing a cut and paste to get this stuck together.

In the meantime I've been doing lots of reading. I decided it might be a good idea to work through threads where people described the way they'd assembled these things and create a work book of hints, tips and the general method and order of assembly - this I can have on my bench to refer to as I'm working away. Believe it or not, I've got a 30 page document showing me how to do it.

Suppose I could make a start, lay the sleepers, make the frog, the wing rails and maybe the check rails, then hope my roller gauges have arrived to coincide with this stage.
Cameras at the ready to give you a blow by blow account but I really didn't want to start until all materials and tools were on hand, which stops me bodging and having an excuse for doing it wrong - think I'll sleep on it......

I'll let you know....

·
C55
2,467 Posts

11B
QUOTE New vice........She may get the wrong idea!!!!

16A
QUOTE Got most of my tools together now to make a start

QUOTE *** make time to do the video tutorials - it doesn't matter which version

QUOTE Cameras at the ready to give you a blow by blow account but I really didn't want to start until all materials and tools were on hand

QUOTE which stops me bodging and having an excuse for doing it wrong - think I'll sleep on it......

Not sure an 11B is best placed to advise a 16A &#8230;&#8230;.

Thank goodness for Model Rail Relief Forum stability &#8230;

J

1 - 20 of 221 Posts