Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

As you might remember the Twin-decoder on my FLN 218 has burnt some time ago and now I am thinking to replace a new decoder which will match the Horny Select.
The Twin-decoder wasn't respond very well on the Select unit, at speed 14 it is OK, function for light works but when I stopped the loco from motion and it cannot start again; at speed 28, the light isn't steady and no light when loco is idle; at speed 128, no light at all! both speed 28 and 128 can resume running after stopped.
So, I'm thinking to get a FLN Twin-decoder 6847 or standard 6876 but I'm afraid the same problem exist with the old one. I also find ESU has a 6-pole decoder, would it work well with Select unit? I also want some comment for the Lenz Silver on Select. I tried some DCC other makers (Digitrax, DXDC) but the acceleration and deceleration rate effect is not as smooth as the Hornbt decoder and sometimes no effect.... I even cannot change the loco address for the Digitrax DCC.

Thank you
Dennis

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Hi Dennis,

I am going thru the same problems but on a different scale.

My 3 Flm locos are fitted with the 6 pole Nem 651 sockets. The rest are not DCC ready and needs extensive hardwiring and an hectic isolation of the motors but thats a different story.

I am about to go DCC. I have ordered the Esu Ecos ( there is a huge cue for it !) . I am not sure, just guessing, your problem might be due to the Select, but there are more knowledgeable people on the forum to comment on this issue rather then me.

But I know one thing for sure that this 6 pole sockets that only FLM uses is a disaster in itself on their HO products. To my opinion FLMs sole purpose in using these, is to have FLM users to stick with their so called Twin Tecknik decoders. FLM for unkown reasons do not like to use sockets acc. to NEM 652.

6 pole sockets are for N scale locos with 0.5 amps. My extensive readings on DCC shows me that it should be at least 1.0 amp for HO.

I asked Esu of what kind of decoder I should use with my Flm loco's and they kindly replied to use the Lokpilot 52613 with 6 poles attached.

Also asked Richard Johnson of DCC Concepts, and being very kind enough suggested the same to go for the lokpilot micro with the 6 poles directly mounted on the decoder and thats what I am planning to do so.

Cheers
Baykal

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Unless you have a good reason to use the FLM Twin decoder (such as using the loco on FMZ) don't bother with it. The ESU decoders work very well with the FLM 3-pole motor.

Not too sure about using any non-Hornby decoder with the Select though - look through the threads regarding the peak output of the Select !

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, my eye is on Lokpilot 52613 now and I also want to try Lenz Silver MP on my other locos, the thing that bothers me is Select's compatibility with these 2 decoders.

The Select's peak output is 4amp, the transformer which came with the package is 1amp, I bought a transformer with a bigger current not long ago which is 3.5amp.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
It's not the current output that is the problem with the select - it's the voltage "spikes".

Lenz do have a good reputation (via MacKays) regarding changing faulty decoders (whatever the reason) though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts