Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my starting layout and to get some experience I like to upgrade my track with electric motor points.

Can somebody tell me if there is a step by step (idiots guide)
that explains the install?
Which motor points shall I use Peco , Hornby, Tortoise etc?
What wiring do I use?

My track is a DCC layout with two trains and normal Hornby Settracks.

I have search the forums but there is so much info that I am totally confused.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 12 Nov 2008, 14:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One of the first things you will need to make your mind up about will be if you wish to control the points through the DCC setup or conventionally.

The Tortoise (and other slow action motors) are far superior (IMHO) than solenoid action types such as the Peco & Hornby. However, they do need more work & if you are happy with the Hornby points then you may be better off using the Hornby motors.

Thanks for your answer. Which best alternative can I use if I don't want to use Hornby motors but other slow action motors?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Expat @ 12 Nov 2008, 15:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Bigdutch and welcome to the MRF.

The question of which point motors to use is one that pops up regularly and there is, unfortunately, no definitive answer.

I must, however, agree with Brian when he says that slow action motors such as Tortoise are superior to the traditional solenoid type of motors both in their reliability and their prototypical speed of movement. Such superiority does, however, come at a price. Tortoise motors cost about £12 each whereas solenoid motors are about a fiver.

Personally I use the Seep PM1 point motors which cost about a fiver each and include the facility to change frog polarity. With Peco you buy the point motor and the polarity change unit separately which costs more.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Expat,

Do you know somewhere where I can find a guide that tell s me how to install and what I need to use motor points and switch them conventially with a switch?

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Expat @ 12 Nov 2008, 16:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Bigdutch.

I'm attaching 2 wiring diagrams for the Seep PM1.

The first is for a simple 'stud & probe' type of control and the second is for a more ambitious (& more expensive) switched point control system using Masterswitches from Richard Johnson at DCC Concepts and bi-colour LED route indicators. Both are for a DCC system.

View attachment 911 View attachment 912

The latter diagram also shows the modifications which are necessary to electrofrog points to isolate the frog and control its polarity.

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for ???

Expat

Thanks , tHis is just what I am looking for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just have one more question and maybe it is a stupid one
, but can I power the points straight from the track or do I need an additional powerr suplly and if so what do you recommend. I need to power about 6 points.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.