Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you know those pictures we all had as a kid? it was a plastic sheet with lots of thin lines embossed into it and had a printed paper backing, you looked at it from one angle and then from another to get 2 different pictures, they are often given away free with cereal packets?

Now for the question!

Does anyone know that the plastic screen is called and where i can buy it?

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Aaaagh I know the stuff you mean and I can't remember what it's called, although I feel sure i've got some somewhere! Just out of interest what do you actually want it for?

Regards

John

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I'm not sure that was what I was thinking of, but I will still look for it later.

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Doug)They are called lenticulars.

Perfect!!!!! Doug you are a lifesaver. I had no idea even what to put into google to try and find it!!

Now i need to find somewhere that sells it!

QUOTE (BRITHO)Aaaagh I know the stuff you mean and I can't remember what it's called, although I feel sure i've got some somewhere! Just out of interest what do you actually want it for?
John

Ok this might sound like i am finally loosing it but i will try and explain!!

Some LMS coaches had small ventilators above the windows that were small vertical vanes of glass that could be rotated to open or close the vent. i want to use a small piece of the plastic to represent this vent design.

I had an idea for using a cable clip with the little cerated part but the trouble is i cant find one that is clear enough and they are a little too thick. it just didnt really work.

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I see....I will hunt through the spares and see if I have anything that may do the job.

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok folks this saga is going from a minor inconvenience to a medium sized problem.

Evryone i can find either wants me to buy a massive sheet for a shed load of money or they want me to buy a thousand sheets for an even bigger shed load of money.

This is a plea to all those of you that have small children, please can you buy them loads of cornflakes or other things with these fancy pictures in them and keep them. (i should point out here that i understand that cornflakes are ritch in iron and that milk contains lots of calcium so you should make them eat lots!!)

It seems like i am going to have to do some experimentation to try and find out what glue they use and try and strip the picture from the plastic.

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 14 Jun 2007, 05:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had an idea for using a cable clip with the little cerated part but the trouble is i cant find one that is clear enough and they are a little too thick. it just didnt really work.

What size were you thinking about? Some are quite thin but may not be deep enough. Looking at the article you posted they appear to be opaque. What size do they have to be?

Regards

John.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Stones Ventilators were also used in a big way in Europe mainly on Wagons-Lits Sleeping and Restaurant Cars to deflect smoke and fumes from the loco, now faithfully reproduced on the Venice-Simplon Orient Express.

Suggest Wills corrugated clear sheeting as it is small-pitched.

HTH.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.