Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´m rather interested in the ÖBB Rh 1012, to be precise, the model Trix has released.

However, I´ve read some Austrian forums, and some members there were less than happy with the model
. Others loved it...
what do you (all) think.

Before I have to justify my planned purchase: my girlfriend (w/ Austrian genes) has insinuated that the Swiss/Austrian engine ratio is in gross imbalace (go figure
, and I offered to maybe buy the 1012, the modern ÖBB engine I really like best in reality.

I hope nobody will mind a link to a German forum with pictures? If so, feel free to delete it - no offense intended.

The second question - should I buy it, I´d want a couple of these extremely fine RailTop ÖBB coaches along with the engine - do you know whether this would be realistic, or if the Rh 1012 only pulled freight trains?

Thanks everybody!

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I was thinking about this one too. My impression was that this was one of the new Trix models i.e. plastic body and also from the lower budget end. I have not seen one in the flesh but the pictures seem to bear this out. If you were after a high quality Austrian passenger train then the Brawa Talent would be very nice I'm sure. I had been thinking about that too.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The Talent would probably be OK, but RailTop´s coaches are a class of their own imho...

from RailTop´s web site

note that the seats have a two-tone finish!

older colors
The last two pictures are taken from the Austrian dealer "Modellbahndiskont" website.

These, plus an Rh 1012...

Apparently, the Trix engine has a few issues (the overhead pickups, the way the front is shaped, and the electric intallations on top of the engine), yet I find some of what has been posted on the Austrian forums a bit exaggerated... to me, the engine looks OK (@ € 155,-- via mail order, anyway).

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 11 Jan 2008, 21:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Before I have to justify my planned purchase: my girlfriend (w/ Austrian genes) has insinuated that the Swiss/Austrian engine ratio is in gross imbalace (go figure
, and I offered to maybe buy the 1012, the modern ÖBB engine I really like best in reality.
I agree with your girlfriend completely!
(It is certainly true in N scale there is an imbalance...but the Swiss are the greatest train users in Europe so perhaps logically they should have more interest in trains, so Swiss models are more abundant?)

From the pictures in the German forum it doesn't look quite as good as in the 2007 catalog, perhaps the pictures and flash photographs do not do justice to the model but certain bits look 'plasticky' like the buffers and brake cables in one picture...hmmm the more I look the more I like it though, and feel sad there isn't one in N scale
... yet
!!

QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 11 Jan 2008, 21:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The second question - should I buy it, I´d want a couple of these extremely fine RailTop ÖBB coaches along with the engine - do you know whether this would be realistic, or if the Rh 1012 only pulled freight trains?

Hmmm. I'm not sure! What a tricky question since it was designed to be a high performance locomotive, but turned out to be more expensive than the ÖBB wanted to pay so the three locomotives were stuck in limbo between manufacturer and customer for a while before they were eventually accepted for a reduced price...the ÖBB couldn't afford the Austrian equivalent (in shape and cost!) of the SBB Re 460
. Instead they approached Siemens for a more cost effective design...and ordered 300+ Taurus locomotives as everyone knows!

I've looked through all my pictures of the 1012s and they all show them pulling the ÖBB/ÖKOMBI RoLa train, often as a pair of locomotives. In fact the only picture of a 1012 pulling a coach I can find is when it pulls the dynamometer measuring and test coach!! I think they were used for RoLa and perhaps freight almost exclusively, although they are suitable for high speed express trains of course so there is no technical reason why they are could not pull passenger trains.

Someone at EBFÖ will know the answer definitely!

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 11 Jan 2008, 22:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Talent would probably be OK, but RailTop´s coaches are a class of their own imho...

They certainly are! Railtop have announced a set of N scale coaches (72001 ÖBB Schlieren-Wagen-Set mit BD + AB + 2 B, Sparlackierung, Epoche 5) so hopefully this is the start of something good (and expensive!) in N scale.
Roco do the Amz, ABmz, Bmz and WRmz in N, and a small series manufacturer (Michael Mende) has done ADmpsz and BDmpsz coaches in resin...

So it just doesn't compare to Railtop H0!

That reminds me, I must get round to finishing my plastic surgery...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Due to the fact that none of Roco´s new 2008 releases is of any interest to me (save for some passenger coaches), the accruals for these items have been reallocated towards funding the purchase of a Trix 1012 003.

External subsidies have been guaranteed as this engine will be co-funded by my girlfriend. These measures have made it possible for us to go into town and eat a couple of Bratwursts with fries to mark the event of ordering the engine at the local hobby shop.

"This event is to be considered historic, and I am very confident that the new engine will perform all given tasks with extreme reliability, since it is an Austrian design" commented the spokeswoman, aka girfriend, of the railroad´s CEO (<- that would be me
).

A small commemorative celebration is planned when the engine is introduced to road service, with Austrian singers Peter Cornelius, Christina Stürmer (
), Ostbahn Kurti and EAV performing.

(Note: above post is written in a lighthearted, humorous manner. No like humor? OK, earnest version: I ordered the Trix 1012 today, and expect it to arrive in a week.)

EDIT: found this pic of an Rh 1012 sans ROLA:

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Enjoy your new loco; I enjoyed your post

David

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (Kimbo @ 13 Jan 2008, 11:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...
I wonder how difficult they'd be to repaint and redecal ---

If a diesel Talent railcar would do, I believe Brawa offered undecorated white ones a few years ago.

David, does it show that I earn my money as accountant...?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Let me move that bit about Brawa Talents
- felt a bit like I was hijacking the thread!

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE David, does it show that I earn my money as accountant...?

The language does betray accounting origins; however humour and imagination are not qualities I usually associate with accountants so you just might get away with it

Though numerate, I did not consider a career in accountancy as it just didn't seem interesting enough. One of my brothers has pursued such a course.

David

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 13 Jan 2008, 00:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>EDIT: found this pic of an Rh 1012 sans ROLA:

Well done finding that! It is I agree a beautiful machine, the shape is related to the 1014 but is smoother. I wonder how it compares to an Re 460 in the flesh?

I have to say I enjoyed the press release from the headquaters of the ME Bahn immensely! Talking of which, a spokesman for the Gödelbahn said today, "the current climate of a weak Stirling against the Euro is adversely affecting our passenger stock upgrade program from Europe - there may have to be a short delay before the order for new Eurofimas is placed with supplier Roco in the second quarter. Also the legal costs of defending the corporate manslaughter case against the family of the unfortunate Mr Preiser may lead to the Gödelbahn reissuing to tender the contract for the supply of platform super glue."

Righto, I'm off to leverage the Gödelbahn brand...

·
Registered
296 Posts
You both are priceless

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (goedel @ 13 Jan 2008, 15:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... Also the legal costs of defending the corporate manslaughter case against the family of the unfortunate Mr Preiser may lead to the Gödelbahn reissuing to tender the contract for the supply of platform super glue...

Hang on... THE Mr Preiser who mysteriously appeared right before a container train pulled by an Re 6/6? Due to his outstanding experience, the ME Bahn engineer managed to stop his train before Mr Preiser was hit. After his failed suicide attempt, Mr Preiser disappeared from the scene, leaving four container cars derailed. The ME Bahn stated that total damages amounted to one Piko container car needing new handrails, and five more needing close examination. An arrest warrant had been issued, but police have yet to catch the elusive Mr Preiser.

Gödel, our legal departments need to talk.

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 13 Jan 2008, 20:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hang on... THE Mr Preiser who mysteriously appeared right before a container train pulled by an Re 6/6? Due to his outstanding experience, the ME Bahn engineer managed to stop his train before Mr Preiser was hit. After his failed suicide attempt, Mr Preiser disappeared from the scene, leaving four container cars derailed. The ME Bahn stated that total damages amounted to one Piko container car needing new handrails, and five more needing close examination. An arrest warrant had been issued, but police have yet to catch the elusive Mr Preiser.

Gödel, our legal departments need to talk.

Yes, him! I suspect he does it for a living - exchanging his limbs one by one for large sums of money in compensation in so called 'horrific shunting accidents' which strangely only ever involve one train moving at high speed past a man behaving very suspiciously.

Oh, yes, now it's my turn!
Minitrix 12169 and 12170, although it looks like Rapidos added to the H0 picture to me! Is this a new trend; Trix one year means Minitrix the year after? I hope so ;-)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great news for N modellers - the HO version is really, really good!

ME security have located and incapacitated Mr Preiser when he tried to interfere with train operations yet again. Charges will be filed. He´s doomed. As his latest interference with operations caused a handrail from a Roco S3/6 to disappear without a trace he is currently being tortured in his arrest cell with German Schlager from the late 60s/early 70s - 24/7.

Peter Alexander, Tony Marschall, Hu-ha-Dschingis Khan, Rex Gildo and more artists from that side of the musical spectrum brighten up his days and nights - mwahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 23 Jan 2008, 23:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>ME security have located and incapacitated Mr Preiser when he tried to interfere with train operations yet again.

I think either his wife or daughter were involved in similar events in Belgium - a pair of legs can be clearly seen in the undergrowth at St Lauren.

Regards

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are we uncovering some sort of "Preiser Family" mafia here?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts