Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello everyone,

After what was roughly a fiveteen year break in railway modelling I have dug out my old layout from my parents' cellar and intend to rebuild it in the house I bought. This requires a new track fan on one approach to the station. My intention is to use Peco Finescale Code 75 curved points SL-E187.

My problems is: I can not find the complete and correct dimensions of these points anywhere! Could anyone please give me the radius, i.e. the real one, not the one in the catalogue which I consider to be incorrect, and the angle of the inner and outer curve?

The angle between the two curves seems to be 12 degrees, I measured 19 degrees for the inner curve which would equate to 7 degrees for the outer curve. Peco states, that the inner radius is 30'' (762 mm) and the outer 60'' (1524 mm). But based on measurements taken from the actual point, the outer radius seems to be more like 2072 mm while the inner could well be 762 mm. But my measurements can always be incorrect!

Thank you for your help. Please apologize any typing or other errors, English is not my native language.

Kind regards from Kassel, Germany

Christoph

Edit: Measured again and got 19 and 7 degrees rather than 21 and 9 with different radii as well.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

As I understand it, the radius of 'Curved' points is slightly different when measured to that quoted in the catalogue because the part of the point where the 'blades' of the point (the moving bits of rail) contact the stationary rails has to be straight for a short distance. So the point is designed to fit curves of the two radii quoted but because of the short straight bit is not quite the same radius itself. That's why the catalogue says 'Nominal Radius' when it describes the points.

The best and cheapest way of checking out the way the point fits in is to get a copy of the Peco "00/HO Turnout and Crossing Plans for Code 100, Code 75 & Code 83" - these may be available from your local Peco supplier or can be got direct from Peco - if you have a current Peco catalogue see page 23 for details. These can be copied as much as you like and then cut out and used to work out your track layout.

Hope this helps you,
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello again,

thank you for your replies. I have a copy (a number of copies, actually) of the point plan and two real points but they did not solve my problem. My method of planning is very traditional using pen, ruler etc. and a 1:10 scale drawing. The track fan will describe a 90 degree curve to fit into the room with short curved sections of varying radii between the points which are difficult to create with the "paper points". I am not totally free in planning because it all has to match the existing sections of the layout. The advice with the short straight section was very useful, though.

I would still appreciate if anyone could confirm or correct what I measured from own experience.

Kind regards

Christoph

1 - 4 of 4 Posts