Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is wildly speculative on my part - I have a regular railway to build first! But in the very long term, I'm wondering about adding a rack railway to my son's layout.

I was looking at the Fleishman FLE 4306. Does anyone have experience of this or any other rack locomotive in HO / OO? Specifically, what is the maximum gradient it is realistic to aim for?

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Here's a photo of the Fleischmann demo layout at Warley last year. You should be able to guesstimate the possibilities from this?

David
Toy Plant Urban design Railway Event

Attachments

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi Noiseboy

The Fleischmann Rack Locos can climb a 35% incline , the locomotives 4306,4305 and 4028 (0-6-0 BR80 steamer) are geared down and very have powerful pulling ability , I have done DCC conversions on all of them. You always see them on Ebay but they generally fetch good prices. The only concern with the steep angle of assent is if wagons become uncoupled.

Regards

Zmil

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
QUOTE (zmil @ 12 Jan 2009, 00:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Noiseboy

The Fleischmann Rack Locos can climb a 35% incline , the locomotives 4306,4305 and 4028 (0-6-0 BR80 steamer) are geared down and very have powerful pulling ability , I have done DCC conversions on all of them. You always see them on Ebay but they generally fetch good prices. The only concern with the steep angle of assent is if wagons become uncoupled.

Regards

Zmil

Always have the loco on the back of the train, pushing!
This is prototype practice.

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts