Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts

Just seen the new edition of Rail Express magazine, which includes some interesting news in its Modeller supplement about an exclusive link up with Bachmann to produce the flush front refurbished Class 37/5s as special edition models this year.

RAIL EXPRESS teams up with Bachmann Europe to produce missing freight Class 37/5s

WITH BACHMANN having relaunched its much improved Class 37 model last year, RAIL EXPRESS has now joined up with the Barwell-based firm to exclusively produce three of the ex-split headcode versions of the type (TOPS Class 37/5), plus a contemporary centre headcode loco from the same sub-class.

The four 'OO' gauge Class 37/5s will be sold in limited quantities and take the form of two 'Special Edition' made-to-order twin packs. These new models will fill a prominent gap in the market for refurbished freight Class 37s, which was last occupied many years ago by the now unavailable and long obsolete Lima product.

The first will represent Thornaby's 'joined at the buffers' pairing of British Steel blue No. 37501 Teesside Steelmaster and Railfreight red-stripe No. 37502 British Steel Teesside. The former will wear the last version of the unique livery, without the blue solebar stripe, and proudly displaying its colourful Thornaby 'Kingfisher' depot logo.

Our second release covers Direct Rail Services favourites No. 37510 and Carlisle depot 'flagship' loco No. 37688 Kingmoor TMD, covering both headcode types.

New flush-fronted nose and roof tooling has been based on REM research, while the rest of the models will make full use of cantrail and nose grille variations allowing modellers to use these as a base for modelling other locomotives. These will be the only such models produced this year. The tooling will be exclusive to RE products for the foreseeable future, Bachmann having had no plans to introduce this version of the Class 37 to its range. REM is also working closely with the company on top of this significant investment to introduce several important upgrades to the model and other major improvements are also being reviewed prior to release this summer/autumn.

Prices are £149.99 for each pack (Bachmann's 2008 recommended retail price) and are offered with FREE POST & PACKING above other incentives, with an additional discount if both packs are purchased. Other linked 'not to be missed' special offers include reduce rate subscriptions and a discounted SWD sound chip option - all in, saving you well over £40!

Ordering details here

Hope of interest
Yours
Marble

·
Registered
342 Posts
Not my modelling era BUT I must admit I am tempted by the teeside pair as a collectors item and they do seem to be able to sell all of their L.E.'s really easily

What puzzles me though is after the Bachman bashing of the past and the promotion of Vi trains is why they have teamed up with Bachman on this and not Vi trains ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (bangerblueed @ 26 Jan 2008, 22:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not my modelling era BUT I must admit I am tempted by the teeside pair as a collectors item and they do seem to be able to sell all of their L.E.'s really easily

What puzzles me though is after the Bachman bashing of the past and the promotion of Vi trains is why they have teamed up with Bachman on this and not Vi trains ?

Hello bangerblueed.

I think it is obvious why the Bachmann loco is the basis. The mags review says it is now pretty much spot-on after several re-toolings and it has the edge in terms of quality as well having an established collector base.

Bachmann bashing and promotion of Vi trains? I think that you are reading a different magazine to me :) I remember some Bachmann products being slated but also many other being praised (lots of wagons and the 'Shed' come to mind). I think Vi trains have only appeared in adverts and news items, can't remember any promotions.

Yours
Marble

1 - 4 of 4 Posts