Stoke Mandeville Stadium
Harvey Road
Aylesbury
HP21 9PP

Saturday 24th May 2008
10.30-17.30
Sunday 25th May 2008
10.00-17.00

Discounted tickets can be brought in advance plus full details on Railex 2008 can be found at http://www.rdmrc.nildram.co.uk/railex2008.html

Railex (Aylesbury) has become one of the 'Must visit' shows on the exhibition calendar earning a position in the Premier league of national shows by virtue of its high quality content, featuring the very best layouts currently on the exhibition circuit. The venue at Stoke Mandeville Stadium is possibly one of the best too with a massive 20,000 square feet of clean and bright fully disabled accessible exhibition space.

Many other exhibitions would have one large star layout in any one year. Incredibly Railex 2008 has the space to bring together a whole host of these headlining layouts including Dewsbury Midland, The Gresley Beat, Thornbury Hill and a rare appearance of Kevin Wilson's stunning 7mm layout Bucks Hill, in fact there are no space fillers, every layout attending having been invited on merit for its high standard of modelling. The full list of confirmed layouts includes:

7mm Scale
Bucks Hill O gauge (Kevin Wilson) possibly the finest O gauge layout ever built, Railex will be a rare showing of the magnificent layout in public as It only does one show per year. (Featured in Model Railway Journal)

Penpoll Quay, O Gauge, Luton Model Railway Club, Set in the 1950s the layout depicts a small Cornish quay on the river Foley and gets its name from Penpoll Creek half way between Foley and Loatwithiel.

Steamwinders & Sawdust On3 (Murray Reed) American logging layout

Camp 93 On3 (Richard Turner) American logging layout

Stoney Middleton, O-16.5 Narrow Gauge, Malcolm Hine, Set in his favourite location of North Derbyshire, the line runs from an interchange with the Midland Railway at Bakewell via Baslow. The layout plan is based on Wantage from Iain Rice's inspirational book Light Railway Layout Designs.

4mm Scale
Dewsbury Midland OO gauge (MMRS) http://www.mmrs.org.uk/ This stunning layout (featured in Model Railway Journal and British Railway Modelling)

The Gresley Beat 4mm OO Gauge (Cliff Parsons) the approaches to Kings Cross in the 1930s (featured in British Railway Modelling)

Western Diesel Depot P4 Diesel depot based on Laria (featured in the May 2008 issue of Rail Express Modeller)

Maindee East Shed P4 (Seffan Lewis) atmospheric western region steam shed set in South Wales (featured in Model Railway Journal & British Railway Modelling)

Widnes Vine Yard OO (Wirral Finescale modellers) http://www.wirralfinescale.com/pages/la ... rmwvy.html (featured in Rail Express Modeller & Model Railway Journal)

Farkham 4mm Scale OO gauge Alex Hall http://www.farkham.co.uk/farkham_picture_page_1.htm (featured in Railway Modeller)

Thornbury Hill OO . Magnum opus Southern through station. (Featured in Model Rail)

London Road P4 (John Redrup Jol Wilkinson) delightful L.N.W.R terminus. Recently refurbished Railex will be this layout first exhibition in 15 years!

Fisherton Sarum OO (Graham Muspratt) viewtopic.php?t=3546 Southern Railway shed based on Salisbury.

Ripper Street, 4mm Scale OO Gauge, DEMU Thames Valley Area Group, Based in North London, features 3rd rail electrification into a dark & dingy (and very dilapidated) terminus very similar to Broad Street in London in the late 1970s.

Keyhaven Quay 4mm scale OO Gauge (Andy York)

2mm Scale

Bodmin N gauge exact scale model of this GWR Cornish Prototype

Oceanside American N gauge (HWDMRS) http://www.hwdmrs.org.uk/AmericanN.htm Warley winner in 2006

The Broadway. (Alan Lawrence) http://www.2mm.org.uk/layouts/the_broadway/index.html
Trams set in an urban scene, everything is totally scratchbuilt and operation is amazing.

Stoney Lane Depot (N gauge) Grahame Hedges http://railexpressmodeller.wordpress.co ... featured in Railway Modeller

Confirmed Traders
247 Developments
All Components
Bill Bedford
Brilliant Baseboards
Comet Models
Dart Casting/MJT
D&E Video & DC Kits
Dragon Models
Eileen's Emporium
Exactoscale Limited including the P4 Track Company
Finney and Smith
Freestone Model Accessories
Golden Arrow Productions
GRAMODELS:
G.W. Models:
Hobbyview:
Ian's Trains:
Intercity Models:
International Models:
Judith Edge Kits:
Kevin Robertson Books:
London Road Models:
M.A.R.C. Models:
M.B. Models
Model Loco Resprays:
Model Signal Engineering:
Modern Structures in Miniature:
N Brass Locomotives:
N-Gauging:
Neal's N-Gauging Trains:
No Nonsense Kits:
Parkside Dundas:
Peter Cowan:
Plus Daughters:
Phoenix Precision Paints:
Railwayania:
Roger Carpenter Photographs:
Roxey Mouldings:
Rural Railways
Skytrex:
Sunningwell Command Control:
Tools 2000:
Unit Models:
Wild Swan Publications

Demonstrators
Brian Daniels O Gauge Diesel Modelling
Phillip Hall 4mm Scale Carriages
David Holt Locomotive Kit Construction
Paul Marshall Weathering.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I went today (Sat afternoon) and can warmly recommend this show. Excellent range of layouts in various scales and types, and a good range of traders. Well-spaced aisles, busy but not densely crowded.

My favourite layout was 'Dewsbury Midland' with 'The Gresley Beat' a close second; both with considerable atmosphere and trains on the move - very long ones on the latter layout.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE Hello, where does BUCKS HILL O gauge come from ?

From the programme - "Although called Bucks Hill the layout is a pretty accurate rendition of Pontrilas, we changed the name to save the boring conversations about the differences with the original and to allow us to run what we fancied..."

which is LMS / GWR and the occasional Stirling Single!

The layout is 46 x 25 and is famous among the "cognoscenti" (I'm not one of them) and is rarely seen on the exhibition circuit. The consequence of that this that it was probably the most popular layout there.

My favourite was "Steamwinders & Sawdust" which confronts as you walk into the exhibition hall. It's an On3 logging layout built within the space of a large octagonal patio umbrella. You can up real close and personal and take a good look at the tresles, rock faces and so on.

The show is definitely worth a visit.

David

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
'Bucks Hill' was probably my third favourite of the show, although 'The Broadway' (trams in 2mm scale), which is completely different in scale, subject and size was also very entertaining.

Dave (dbw) above doesn't mention that the 'Steamwinders and Sawdust' has a remarkable sound system which adds much atmosphere, particularly as the locos are all of the 'Shay' or similar type, which has a much different exhaust sound to what we're used to.

Glad I went yesterday - it's been raining since about 10pm last night and has only just stopped!

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I knew I'd seen the logging layout before - it was at the January 2006 CMRA exhibition in St Albans. I managed to dig up the Guide for that show and found it gave far more detail than was in the Railex guide. They do use speakers on the locos, but have a complementary bass speaker system within the layout to add the bass sound the loco speakers can't reproduce so easily.

Regards,
John

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Hello Everybody.

First of all Congratulations to David Lane on managing a wonderful exhibition.

A great collection of superb layouts.

Bucks Hill. Dewsbury.Gresley Beat. Each one as good as the next. Plus a host of other fine layouts. A great weekend was had by all & Saturday night was an added bonus. Thanks Rod & Mike for the great conversation. My partner & I met some extremely nice people & had a great time. Looking forward to the next one already.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I have to admit that I have seen Gresley Beat and must admit it is a very entertaining layout to watch - and yes some of the trains on it do reach a fair length.

Regards

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE and yes some of the trains on it do reach a fair length

The empty coal train we saw reached half way round the circuit. All the couplings were three link. I did wonder just how long it took to put the wagons on the track and hitch them up.

There were some incredibly long trains on the Oceanside US West Coast N gauge layout. It too made me wonder just how much attention is required to ensure that all the stock runs freely so that a rogue sticky axle doesn't have the whole train over as the strain around the bend becomes too much.

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts