Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get 1/76th scale iron railings, I have searched the internet with no success. It looks as if I may have to make them up myself but it has the makings of a fiddly job as I would have to construct about 30 inches with about 350 individual railings to be true to scale.

Branchy

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob, thanks for the contact, their spearpoint railings are exactly what I am looking for, just placed my order with them. I reckon thats worth a pint (or half litre) next time I am down Alicante way, probably next spring, we have friends living there.

Branchy

·
Registered
521 Posts
What a treasure trove of exquisite fine models!
Etched brass N-Gauge LEAVES, for goodness sake.
It's hard to believe the craftsmanship involved.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've seen a lot of GWR type spear headed metal railings on a few model railways in the model press and they look really excellent. A good example is on the Ditton Heath layout in July 2005 Railway Modeller, pages 425, 426 and 428. Unfortunately none of the wording accompanying the layouts mentions the railings and where they came from. I'm pretty sure however that they will be the same as you have sent for as there aren't many sources for this item.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well folks here we are, Friday and no sign of my railings. I have already recieved items from another source which were ordered after the railings, I think I shall give them a call. I hate dealing by post but sometimes there is no other optiion.

Brian

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dennis,

You are right, me in my bathrobe is not a pretty sight, as our postie is sometimes of the gentler sex I shall not open the door until she is out of sight.

I went back to the suppliers web site, they make a statement to the effect that speed is not of the essence. I shall be patient.

Off the subject and probably deserves a new thread. I have just taken delivery of two Kadee magnets. If I just lay the magnets on the sleepers the couplings scrape very slightly on the upper surface of the magnet, should there be a clearance? I am waiting for some freight stock, some Kadee equipped and some requiring conversion, perhaps I should get their starter kit which includes a drop arm adjuster, gauge and other essential items.

Brian

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The railings arrived a couple of days ago, they are made from a 0.22mm flat brass plate and are about 20 mm high depending how you mount them, the length is 6 strips each of 95 mm giving a total run of around 570 mm. this is more than enough for my purposes as I intend to mount short runs between brick columns for effect. The detail of the railings is excellent, the spearpoints are so fine that very thin paint will be required so as not to mar the profile, it is a pity to have to spray them black to be authentic, in fact I might leave them in brass. If any one is interested I shall post a photo (when I find out how) of the finished job.

Brian

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'd like to see a pic of them Brian as they are on my shopping list and I was only waiting for your report. I did see some Ratio spear headed railings at the show in plastic but because they were in bags I couldn't get a really good look at them and there was no chance of speaking to the retailer. Anybody any experience of the Ratio type?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is a photo of a section of the railings, I have since sprayed them black without any loss of detail, perhaps another piccy when they have been assembled to the base wall and pillars but only if they look OK.

Brian

1 - 20 of 22 Posts