Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The latest version of (5.8 C1) Train Controller from Railroad & Co. (Freiwald Software) has added the ECoS to its list of supported units.

You can read the announcement here
David

·
Registered
90 Posts
According to Juergen Friewald the Creator of RR&Co you need ECoS firmware update 1.0.4 as well. (Mine worked with 1.0.3 though).

IMHO RR&Co is the best computer control software I've seen it demonstrated at a few of the large german exhibitions on some very large layouts and the stuff it can do is amazng. I've owned it for about a month now and i'm only just starting to scratch the surface of what is a very powerful combination of RR&Co with the ECoS. Be warned it's expensive if any of you are considering going down this route, again IMHO well worth the money i just need a layout that can do it justice, i'll be working on that over the next couple of years.

Regards

Mark

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve Jones' electricnose site (www.electricnose.co.uk) has an OMWB article that gives you a very good idea of what this software is capable of.

David

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
> Much as I'd like this, I would need a bigger layout to justify it
My justification is that the computer would control the mainlines and I would deal with the incoming goods, local passenger services and locomotive change overs. The fact that I have always wanted to control a railway with a computer has nothing what so ever to do with it

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 24 May 2007, 02:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>> Much as I'd like this, I would need a bigger layout to justify it
My justification is that the computer would control the mainlines and I would deal with the incoming goods, local passenger services and locomotive change overs. The fact that I have always wanted to control a railway with a computer has nothing what so ever to do with it

David
I have to admit I do fancy one. Maybe once I run out of trains to buy?

·
Registered
90 Posts
hey Guys

You can always dive it a try, the downloadable version is the full thing with a 15 minute operable window i.e you can do all the setup and programmming with the dcc system offline then try it live for 15 minutes. When the 15 minutes expires the dcc system automatically goes offline but alll you have to do is restart the software and you get another 15 minutes. You can repeat this cycle as many times as you wish over the next 30 days.

I'm not trying to be a sales agent but if you have any interest in computer control of your layout (regardless of size, mines a 6x4 oval at the moment and never has more than 2 trains running at a time) it's welll worth a try especially if you have an ecos as you don't need to buy any other hardware to get it going. IMHO this is what DCC is all about and the only way to get the absolute most out of your system.

Give it a try, you'll never look back !

Cheers

mark

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Hi Guys,

One of the members of our club is utilizing (to be honest do not know the name of the software ) one of these programs to control everything(even trucks and cars running abt) on his layout.

It's infact doing incredible things with the program. His layout is abt 4x1.80 meters, Maerklin.

By pressing a button on the PC, a preprogrammed scenario starts; Loco's leave their sheds, couple with their rolling stock/passenger coaches, leave the stations to their destinations, leaves a couple of freight cars for the shunters to do their jobs in the freight yards..... and at the end all loco's leave their stock at the appropriate places and return back to their sheds. This scenario lasts for 25 minutes.You just sit back and enjoy.

You can always control it manually at anytime of the operation.The program has nearly infinite possibilities.

I personally like to control my layout manually but this is a must for bigger exhibition layouts where you just press the button an leave the rest to the PC while you attend and entertain the visitors.
He is now after the ECOs ( afraid there is a waiting list till mid July)

Cheers
Baykal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts